Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    txbirdfarmer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2014, 11:34 AM
    Removing black vct adhesive from concrete floor
    I have removed VCTs from our bathroom floor. Black adhesive is left on the concrete floor. It is hard as a rock and almost impossible to remove.

We will be installing ceramic tiles so we have to put down the ceramic adhesive/leveling compound. How can I or do I have to remove the black adhesive before applying the new tile adhesive?

I believe these VCT tiles are from 1978.

Thanks... Michele
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2014, 09:02 AM
    Install 1/4'' concrete board and you will have a clean surface to work with. You will have to extend the toilet drain. There are adapters for that at HD or any other big box stores.

Chuck
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2014, 09:59 AM
    I'd get that adheasive tested first for asbestos, I don't know when it stopped being made and used exactly ... but something that old its best to not assume.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2014, 04:35 PM
    If you think there is a problem with asbestos, after installing concrete board seal edges with caulking . This will encapsule the asbestos.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I strip vct tile mastic from concrete floor [ 0 Answers ]

I stripped tile from a sunroom concrete floor. How do I strip the mastic?

Removing black adhesive from floor before installing new vinyl tile [ 6 Answers ]

I have a bathroom (at the church I belong to) that has a hard type of vinyl tile in it. A toilet has overflowed 2 times in the past and flooded the floor. As a result, a lot of the tile has come loose. I have the replacement VINYL tile, but need to know how to continue. Under the tile is black...

Removing old dried black glue off concrete floor [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if I can paint over old hard black glue from a concrete floor, I would be using concrete paint. Thanks!

Can a floor leveler be used over black adhesive glue [ 6 Answers ]

I will be tiling the kitchen floor over electric radiant heat, There is a black adhesive under the vinyl tiles that I am taking up. Can I use a floor leveler over the radiant heat mats and pour it directly over the black adhesive and then tile?

Removing carpet adhesive from concrete [ 3 Answers ]

What do you suggest to remove glue and carpet remnants from a concrete porch? The old carpet was loose in some areas and also very worn, it had been down for about 15 years. We pulled the carpet up, but was left with the glue and remnants of carpet. I have been told to use denatured alcohol or...

View more questions Search