Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Breezy7473 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2014, 10:01 PM
    Heat Pump Aux Heat displays first when heat comes on even when the outside temp is 50
    I have a Maytag 1200 Series; 13 Seer heat pump. Was just installed on 1/22/14. Also have a new Honeywell VisionPRO Series with RedLINK thermostat. Questioned my Kwhr usage; so I observed how it operated over the last few days; 1/21 through 1/22/14. I live in Belews Creek, NC . We have had pretty mild weather the last few days. Temperature usually drops overnight. The lowest it got was 38 degrees by 5:30 AM one morning. When I first turned the heat on it was 66 degrees indoors, so I set it for 69 degrees so it would turn on. Long story short; every time my fan went on I went to the thermostat to see how it was working. Every time I did this the AUX HEAT displayed no matter what the outside temperature recorded on the thermostat. Even at an outdoor temperature of 50 degrees, when the heat went on it displayed AUX HEAT. Also, every time the heat went on and I looked at the thermostat the indoor temp. reading was 69 and the setting still read 69 as I initially set it. Took pix of the thermostat each time. I know that when there is a drop of approx. 2 degrees the aux heat may cut in first to hasten warming the house; but I also heard that this doesn't usually happen unless the temperature outside is below 37 degrees. The tech that installed the unit and thermostat said he set the outside sensor to 35 degrees, but also learned that the thermstat may also control when the aux heat comes on. My brother is a retired HVAC tech and he thinks there still may be a staging/sequencing problem. I also took meter readings and my normal usage without heat on is approx. 30-35 Kwhrs a day. While I had my system on my usage more than doubled and it isn't even cold out! I used 98 Kwhrs in 46 hours with the system on. PLEASE HELP!
    Churchel Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2014, 08:01 PM
    Is the outdoor unit coming on at all?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ruud achiever ac/ heat pump with aux heat.. electric.. pump in high pressure lockout... [ 0 Answers ]

Replaced tstat.. tech added 2 lbs r22.. but it didn't register on his gauge that he had added any... worked for a day.. didnt need heat for 3 days... then had to reset house electrical for cooling to come on... now heat cme on for 5 minutes then went into aux heat...

Heat pump never turns on, handler blows continuous with no heat except with AUX heat [ 2 Answers ]

10 year old Rheem air handler RHBA-21J8MFCA, 1/3HP, 2.8A. New WeSt Columbia, SC 29170, Model 2HP13L48P-1B, HCFC-22, 4TON. Installed new out of box iN July and AC working splendidly but start-up is "violent" and loud. Installer says I need some sort of "start-up kit". I put off as had planned...

Heat pump shows AUX heat, doesn't run HP lower than about 1.5 degrees C [ 0 Answers ]

I have a goodman GSZ130241AB heatpump. The house is brand new, and this is the first winter for us. I've noticed now that its dipped to close to 0 degrees C, the thermostat will show 'aux heat on', and the house will heat but the actual heat pump unit outside will be off. As soon as the...

Carrier Hvac heat pump with aux/em heat- NO AUX HEAT [ 1 Answers ]

I have tried to install Honeywell 7500d thermostat. I get heat pump heat but no emergency heat although the termostate is calling for it. The installation manual says to see authorized agent if I have a dual 0/b on existing thermostat and another wire is attached to common. As of now, I have ...

View more questions Search