Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ekozo99 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2014, 08:48 AM
    Performance Evaluations Biased
    In my first performance evaluation for a new job, I was evaluated by a colleague whom I had a rocky start with. She displayed aggression towards me right away trying to size me up by inquiring about my background knowledge in construction and estimating in the first conversation. I felt her trying to pigeon hole me. She also made me feel that she was trying to make it known to me that she is the boss (which she isn't). There was a mishap I the first week with the computer system. She went on an emotional tirade and embarrassed me in front of co-workers. She always tried to show me that she knows more (which she doesn't). There was incident where she got offended because another colleague ask her to do something. She felt superior to him and when he left got all upset saying why she shouldn't have to listen to a junior estimator (she is only an assistant and lower in the tote pole). Also, I notice that I am not allowed to use the pronoun she to refer to her which I find confusing. Pronouns are used in the place of proper nouns. They could not be any hidden intention behind using the pronoun.

Management had her do my performance repot. She made unqualified statement that appeared emotional more anything. I asked for examples and they couldn't give any. She said things like I am not a team player and I only do thins for myself. Also, she clamed that I clamed to know everything which was never implied or stated by myself. My average score for my review was 76%, which is not good.

The interesting things is now that the manager is back from holidays, he does not see or agree with the review. He told me hat my next review in 2 weeks is looking a leas 10% higher.

I feel bullied and that my co-worker intentionally tried me make m look bd. Management said just forget about it and move on. Yet, I personally attacked and I think management should address it. I feel really demotivated today.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2014, 10:19 AM
    Let me state from my observation of what you have written... as the new person in the office... you really don't know what the other people know... and you probibly come across as a bit pomous and self righteous. And in your short time there its impossible you have mastered all the details.

But honestly... by saying she doesn't know everything when she thinks she does... implies that you think you do in your short time there... and thinking that... usually reflects in your behaviour and others DO pick up on it.

I see a lot of things that indicate you migh work with others... but aren't a true team player in the sense that most people would consider it.

I am telling you this from the perspective of someone that has 36 years working with others across a number of employers and working with a large number of clients, and not Walmart costomer service... but working with Embassies and a number if high profile Federal agencies.

You learn to read people fairly fast, and while you might not think you are... it shows in how you write and what you say.

You are the low person in the office right now... you work your way up and earn respect like everyone does anywhere else. You can't march right in and expect to be on par with the more senior people. And trying to bully your way in puts the others off that earned their status in the office.

Going straight to the manager really isn't going to endear your with anyone there either. I shows them you can't be trusted. And will turn in anyone or say anything to suck up to the boss at everyone elses expense.....every office usually has one....they usually don't last.

I'm not saying that to be mean.....I'm saying that so you take a step back and try to see things from their perspective.....after all the world revolves around noone....everyone has to adjust their behaviour to fit in if they want to be a team player.

Whats the old saying? There is no "I" in team?

Feb 21, 2014, 12:00 PM
    What I meant is that my technical knowledge and experience is more. Yes, I agree I may not know the full procedures of the company. But to belittle me and make me feel like I know nothing is not professional. To say that I shouldn't ask questions and just do it as told also is not professional.
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2014, 12:27 PM
    You only THINK your technical knowledge is more... if you worked with them for 20 years... you could make that statement... in the short time you've been there... you've only learned a very small part of what they actually know. People have a way of surprising you... example being you have a college degree and they don't... that really proves nothing in the workplace... someone that's been there a lot more years than you will have significantly more experience and knowledge in that specific job than someone recently hired.

And unless you work at McDonalds... you are constantly learning on the job... even after many years.

Here is where I'm going to be a bit blunt... get used to it... if you have thin skin.. thats going to happen most places you work. Particularly if you as the new guy is perceived as coming across as a know-it all... or steps on anyone's feet in the ladder of that department.

And contrary to a new persons belief... even in a department of people with the same job classification.. there is still a hierarchy... with the most experienced and oldest employees at the top and the new person at the bottom.
    Without knowing exactly what the question was and how it was presented... ( two very important points to consider) its hard to say if it was justified or not.

Fact is... its a job... not a social club. You learn to work with people whom you may not like personally... or even might have conflicting personality types.

How long have you been in this position... how long have you been in the workforce? These are mistakes many people make in youth.

First... if you take everything as a personal slight... you are going to sabatoge your own career. You have to learn that they are like they are... you learn to work around it. YOU have to separate the personal issues from the work ones... Its really not as hard as it sounds. Showing you have a thin skin only reinforces their impression of your faults. Learn to take any criticism in stride... recognise shortcomings and adapt... and soon you will have even their respect.

I'm passing that along as someone who has been the new guy at 7 differnt highly technical and specialized companies over the last 36 years. Had that happen at every single one....and the best way to handle it is not let it bother you...and to respond in a no-confrontational way......if you take everything as a personal attack....and over react to every percieved slight....you are going to appear to be "the guy who can't play with others". if you see the point I'm trying to make.

Some workplaces are harder than others.....you won't change everyone else to fit your ideal...so you adapt to work with them. If the personality clashes are bad enough you can't deal with them.....then its best to start circulating your resume. They will almost always side with the person they know and have known against the new person nobody really knows all that well. They've proven themselves already....you have yet to prove yourself.

Trust me ...I know what you are talking about...I've been there...made some of the same mistakes in my first years working.....before I came to understand the right way and the wrong way to deal with them.
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2014, 12:48 PM
    What I am saying.. its fine to contest a performance review if you disagree with it... but out side of that... prove you are the bigger person by not wrestling in the mud.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2014, 12:57 PM
    smoothy is giving you some good advice. Sounds like you started out with a bit of a chip on your shoulder especially when you encountered your least favorite co-worker.
    But, consider the fact that someone in management did consider her to have some supervisory authority over you, evidenced by them having her do your efficiency rating. Ratings are normally completed by the first line of supervision above the employee being rated.

Feb 21, 2014, 02:00 PM
    The only reason she did it was because the owners were on vacation and so was my main manager. I understand what you are saying. But what gets me is how I can get such a bad review and then my manager say he doesn't agree with it and say that my next one will be mid 8os to low 90s. That doesn't make sense to me. It sounds like she had an axe to grind.

While I agree with most things of what was said, I don't feel that what is happening is justified.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 21, 2014, 04:14 PM
    Justified to whom? If future reviews are more flattering then the lesser review will be discounted. But for you to protest your review will look like sour grapes and make you appear as a malcontent. The way to protest is to perform to your capabilities and show management the earlier review was an aberration.

You need to move on!

Feb 22, 2014, 08:20 AM
    Your advice is helpful. I understand and agree. But I still not sure if you guys are getting my point. For example I got 60% on appearance. I am always wearing nice clothes, ironed with a good straight crease in my pants. I slways smell like a hint of calonge and I pop mints to keep fresh evrry so often. I'm a very clean person and I use the office hand sanitizer every few hours. I always look professional yet not according to this person. Anyway, I get the main idea. My wife said she probably felt threatened and insecure and needed to make me look bad because I excelled quickly. But you guys are not giving me the dame idea. I'm sure its somewhere in the middle. Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 22, 2014, 09:01 AM
    We are getting your point, but you aren't getting ours. You want to hear us to agree with your wife that the review was unfair. But we can't do that for 3 reasons. First, we aren't married to you so we are not responsible to bolster your ego. Your wife is and she seems to be doing a good job of that. Second, we are only hearing your side of things. We understand there are always two sides to a story. If the reviewer was posting we might hear a different story. So in responding to you we take that into account. Finally, we try to provide solutions here. And the best solution is for you move on and prove, in future reviews, that this first review was an aberration and not accurate. You are unlikely to get anywhere if you whine about how unfair the review was. But will if you show, by actions, that the review was wrong.

Performance reviews are somewhat subjective. Most reviews require an employee to sign the review with a comment. So you sign the review and state your objections to the findings and leave it at that. Allowing your frustration at the review to fester and gnaw at you is NOT the best solution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get biased judge off case [ 4 Answers ]

In Indiana my judge is obviously interested in my ex. She went to jail for beating our son and he not only furloughed her out but let her have our son back. Indiana legal aid is helping her and I cannot afford an attorney. He has proven biasness against me refuses to honor court ordered visitation...

Paintings evaluations? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an oil painting I bought several years ago of a Paris street scene signed Jean Moulin who I found out by googleing is quite a hero as a french resistance fighter during WWII. Any info is greatly aprreciated!

Performace evaluations [ 1 Answers ]

If you and your boss reviewed your evaluation and it was satisfactory, and you both signed it can her supervisor force her to redo it . She redid it and he still refused to sign it because it was also satisfactory. She did a third that she had to make unsatisfactory so tah he would sign it. Can a...

Biased landlord [ 3 Answers ]

Two of my neighbors are buying homes and needed to move two weeks into the month. They paid for the two months they stayed. On the same day I call to see if I could move two weeks into the month and pay for the two weeks. The secretary said oh I don't see why not we do that all the time and we just...

View more questions Search