Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helenhl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2014, 05:33 PM
    How do I tell my mom that I need a bra?
    So I'm 12 and I'll be 13 soon. I'm getting breast buds and I really need a bra, even a training bra is fine. I'm the only one in my grade who doesn't own a bra. It has come up in conversation once, when she got me some new clothes. She asked me if I thought I needed a bra, jokingly, so I didn't answer. She recently bought me a sports bra only because I run, but it's only for running. I'm in athletics at my middle school, so I have to change in the locker room every day. It's very awkward because I'm the only one wearing a tank top. How can I tell her? I can't speak to her straight out because she will laugh and tell me I'm too young, which she told me the time it came up in conversation. Help!
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Feb 19, 2014, 05:49 PM
    She has already asked you if you thought you needed one, so tell her you do. Your mom is not blind and I'm sure she is not insensitive.
    Just go to her and tell her you need one.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 19, 2014, 06:32 PM
    Why would you think your mom would laugh at you over something like that? Remember she went through it herself. Just say; remember when you asked if I thought I needed one. Well I do.

But have you talked to every girl in your grade? Seen them all change? Don't think you are the only one.

But really I can't understand being afraid to talk to your mom about this.
    lovepink22 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2014, 09:17 PM
    She's your mom, you're supposed to tell her things you need. Just ask, and if you feel uncomfortable for some reason just ask her for money and get one yourself.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 20, 2014, 06:32 AM
    Most likely she was not joking, but she did not know exactly how to ask either.

You go and say, mom, you asked about bra before, I think I need one now.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Feb 20, 2014, 08:00 AM
    She was probably laughing/joking so she wouldn't embarrass you, by making a big deal out of it.

That she has already bought you a sports bra, means she does see that you will likely need bras, sooner rather than later.

If it is a hard subject for you to bring up, try leaving her a note asking if the two of you could go shopping for a bra on the weekend sometime.

I'd bet money that she'd be happy to do so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to tell my mom I need a bra [ 6 Answers ]

Me and mom are not close but I need to ask to go bra shopping I need a bra before school starts :(

How to ask your mom for a bra? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I need a bra but my mom says no. I'm 11 and my nipples are showing through my shirt and they itch and they hurt. What should I do?

How to ask my mom for a bra [ 3 Answers ]

I am ten years of age and my breasts are budding. My mom got hers when she was 13. I am a early maturer and I am the person who really needs one right now. I want to ask my mom for one but I'm to scared what she says. We have already had the talk about my period and my breast are going to bud and...

How do I ask my mom if I need a bra [ 11 Answers ]

Hi I am 11 and I just want to ask my mom if when could I get a bra but she always says no. I need help to show my mom that I need a bra. How dob I tel her?

View more questions Search