Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    segafour Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2014, 01:32 PM
    Personal loan gone bad
    In 2011 I loaned an ex money. I had him sign a promissory note so I could get my money back. Its now 2014 and still no payment. Is there a statue of limitations on personal loans. I am going to sue him for my money plus interest which was put on the promissory note?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 19, 2014, 01:55 PM
    Check your local small claims court for applicable statute of limitations regulations, or the court you are suing him in.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 19, 2014, 02:53 PM
    There sure is a SOL, but it depends on the state or country you are in.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 19, 2014, 04:08 PM
    What were the terms of the loan? Was there a payment schedule, a due date for repayment?

Any question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.
    segafour Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2014, 09:20 AM
    Personal loans
    Quote Originally Posted by segafour View Post
    In 2011 I loaned an ex money. I had him sign a promissory note so I could get my money back. Its now 2014 and still no payment. Is there a statue of limitations on personal loans. I am going to sue him for my money plus interest which was put on the promissory note?
    Nj sol is 6years. And yes terms were set. Dates of payments,interest as well as default statues all comments very helpful
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 20, 2014, 10:26 AM
    So I'm assuming he has defaulted by not meeting the payment terms. So take him to court.

Remember however, winning in court and collecting are two different things. If you have a promissory note and he can't prove he made the payments due, then you win. But then you are responsible for collecting. You have to find his place of business or bank and get a writ of execution to collect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Personal loan went bad [ 3 Answers ]

A friend loaned me 3000.00 I've benn paying it back slowly over 3 years. During this time they were not reachable for 8 months and after surfacing they wanted it all.They took me to court and sued me the court date is March 2014. If I don't go what happens next due I have time to pay still, will my...

Personal Loan [ 2 Answers ]

I have an email from someone I gave a loan to in 2006 which confirms it, and how it will be repaid but hasn't. What is the statue of limitations in NYS?

Auto loan converted to personal loan with same monthly installments (72 mo.) [ 1 Answers ]

Topic: None Chosen Your Question: "I have a auto loan converted to a signature loan due to the bank not receiving the car title, so they converted it to a persoanl loan. Once the bank did that my auto loan (secured loan) just became a personal loan (unsecured loan) but yet the months of...

I need a 10,000 unsecured personal loan and I have bad credit [ 5 Answers ]

I have bad credit and need at least a $10,000 personal unsecured loan. I'm recently divorced and want to start my new life on a clean slate. I already met with a lawyer and I do not quality for bankruptcy and was given advice from my lawyer to stay away from debt consolidation company's. I just...

Personal loan against my 401 with bad credit [ 1 Answers ]

My company does not give loans on my 401K.. my current statement shows I have almost 11,000 invested... I have really bad credit and no bank or fiancé company will approve.. can I borrow against my 401 as collateral... I need a $3,000 loan and where do you recommend I go to.. been on same job for...

View more questions Search