Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nanajo1 Posts: 28, Reputation: 4

Jun 13, 2007, 08:03 PM
    Hi sweety
    Do you have any children around the house that may be speaking for him? Or a playmate? Do you finish his sentences before heo is finished? I went through this with my 20 year old when she was your sons age. She began walking quite late as well. Part of her problems were the fact that she was almost 10 weeks premature. The rest was my oldest daughter speaking for her and knowing what she wanted. She did not toilet train until she was 3 1/2 which was hard. I spent hours and hours working with her on sign language and interaction games, and word games. Her therapist worked extremely hard with her as well. One she turned 5 she seemed to become a totally dif child. I'm not saying it was an over night sensation but there was progress daily. She is now a hockey player, and in college to become a child and youth worker. Don't sweat it too much, he will come around
    ceeceesworld Posts: 9, Reputation: 4

Jun 18, 2007, 01:13 PM
    My son was 5 and in pre-k before I got him fully potty trained. He had to go to speech therapy for over a year and was actually diagnosed with a language delay. Part of that was due to a divorce and his difficulty in dealing with it. HOWEVER, he is now going into second grade and is on the honor roll and has top scores on the standardized tests. Just be patient, work with him, and make sure he gets his check ups as needed by his pediatrician.
    kittyfremont Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2007, 07:58 PM
    I am not trying to be mean, but have you ever considered trying to stay home with him and working with him? Perhaps Daycare is not the best environment for him. Maybe staying home with a parent would be better if he is having problems? Just asking please don't be offended.
    Adiorable Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2007, 09:20 AM
    Hi..

I've had the same problem with my son who just turned 3 in August. I've had him evaluated and he's only going to need speech therapy but I'm waiting for the board to approve of this. I've heard that some kids just wake up one day and start speaking full sentences, and I believe it's happened a little bit in my case because since I've been home with him he's been much more verbal but not enough. He was in babysitting for 2 years and I don't think he interacted much there with any kids because there weren't any. I worried as much as you did and I hope this evaluation will really help him. I suggest you have him evaluated by your local school district as well. I've heard it does WONDERS within 6 month tops! Hope everything goes well! :D
    Nkibba Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2011, 07:21 AM
    I am a mother of a 2 yr old son. Just this morning I was expressing to his dad how worried I was about his speech. My son does not speak at all. I mean he says certain things but like your son if you didn't know him, you would not know what he was talking about. His doctor seems to think he has autism. I am afraid to get my son tested for autism but it might help to get him tested. My sister once told me a story about a girl that she knew whose son was four and didn't talk at all. She daid one day they came over to visit and he just started talking. It was like he was intaking all the information he could his first three years and now he speaks clearly, sentences and understands commands. I too have never heard my son say momma and it brings them to tears. SO I say hang in there, what you've done so far is good enough, speech therapy etc. Get him tested for autism and go from there. The earlier the better right! Good luck and its not your fault!
    Nkibba Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2011, 07:41 AM
    Comment on newlablover's post
    My mom said the saem thing about my son. I really trust her since she ahd five children and one of which was a boy.
    lonestardad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2011, 09:18 AM
    I too have a son and when reading I thought maybe this was my wife attempting to reach out anonymously. These symptoms appear extremely similar. My son just turned three two months last past and the verbal communication is very slow. There are times he will blurt out a sentence (2-4 words) in which case I am stunned questioning who tought him how to connect the words. I get excited and wished it would happen more often however it does not. It bothers me a lot with all the wondering out there and patience has its limits. I would appreciate more open dialouge to see if there are additional traits that this group of children share. Currently, we experience our son mumbling still. It is as if he is wishing to have a conversation but the words are so fast it sounds like mumbling.. he does this with himself especially when he gets excited. Anyone experiencing this?
    sanrio Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2011, 06:07 AM
    Hi Kim,
    I was wondering how your son is doing. I see that your last post was up in 2007.
    My daughter 4 years and 10 months is slow with speech, super at drawing (she draws better than some adults) but since she can't speak so well, her friends at school either laugh at her or just don't play with her.
    It pains me to see other kids do so well yet my daughter is all alone at school :(
    She has started to see Speech Therapist since a month ago and the ST is saying my daughter has couple of Autism traits but can't say she is Autistic. Just hearing the word Autism made me cry... I am so worried...
    Hope you'd get back with me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 Year Old Son Does Not Speak! [ 21 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 3 1/2 year old son, and he still does not speak. He says "no", "dop" (for stop). And "ow". Nothing else. He has never said mama or daddy or anything else. He understands everything we say to him. He follows instructions (i.e. "put it on the table" or "throw it in the trash"), but he...

Why is my 16 year old son so mean to me? [ 12 Answers ]

I am just devastated by the way my son treats me. Tonight he called me a ho and tells me every day that I am worthless. I have been here for him while his father, my ex husband went years without seeing him at all. I have helped him so much and tried so hard to give him a decent life. I am off...

Need help with my 12 year old son [ 11 Answers ]

I am having a hard time with my son he is 12 years old and he is into a lot of trouble all the time. At school he is a bully and pushed the school to the point of sending him to the courts as an unruly kid if there is one more incident! I know he needs help and I want to get him help but I am on...

19 year old son moved out [ 10 Answers ]

I feel I have always been a good mother. Raised both children in a good environment & home life. I have worked in the same profession for 27 years. My son has moved out with another family. The parents have just recently quit their jobs, their home is a wonderful home, but yet it is a complete...

My 16 year old son seems to have given up [ 19 Answers ]

I am a 41 year old widow who lost her husband 7 months ago... my son is 16.. he is not dealing with it well.. doesnt want to go to school anymore.. wont seek help.. doesnt see his friends anymore.. stays in his room... I don't know what to do.. I have tried everything! Can someone give me some...

View more questions Search