Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pepperamon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2014, 07:15 AM
    Oil fill cap came out, oil was lost, engine did not seize.. will oil and new cap fix?
    After prolonged use, oil fill cap vibrated out.. oil was lost, but machine was shut off before seizing. Will replacing cap and refilling oil get machine up and running.. pull and electric start engine.. Craftsman model 536.881651.. I live in Rockland county NY, College Grad. Born 1949. Another snow storm coming!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 18, 2014, 07:19 AM
    Should be good to go. Can never tell any excess wear it may have caused or shorten the life of engine, but yes, put oil in and go for it.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Feb 18, 2014, 04:41 PM
    Hi,
    Certainly replacing the oil fill cap after filling the engine with oil will solve your problem. Without an oil cap in place, the engine will blow oil out the fill opening during the downward stroke of the piston because of internal crankcase pressure. If caught, it only makes a big mess.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I just bought a car. When I took the radiator cap off, it was full of oil... [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a car and when checking the fluids took off the radiator cap it was full of oil and no coolant I need to know if a new radiator and flush will save the motor?

Where to buy car oil cap? [ 2 Answers ]

Where to buy an oil cap for citreon picasso 53 plate

I found a black gunk (oil?) in my antifreeze and a milky substance on my oil cap? [ 1 Answers ]

I found what I think is oil in my radiator and there is a milky substance on my oil cap. Also my hoses in my engine are soaked in oil from the inside out. Now my car runs fine it doesn't smoke or anything. But I'm sure these symptoms are no good. HELP!

Car driven without oil cap on [ 8 Answers ]

My son forgot to put the oil cap on my 93 Toyota Celica, and I drove it to work and back (approx 20 miles) before it belched up all the oil. New oil put in, car is holding oil for past 2 days without being driven. Will it be okay to drive and check oil frequently?

Car driven without Oil cap. Won't start. [ 1 Answers ]

Ok First off, I drive a '94 MITSUBISHI Galant. A couple of days ago I added some oil to it and was about to go for an oilchange. I guess I forgot to put the cap back on. (I know.. ) So I drove without it for maybe a week... I was fine until I had to stay home for 2 days and now the car won't...

View more questions Search