Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aroan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2014, 08:54 PM
    Can you sue walmart for taking 25 of my stolen checks
    I had approximately 25 checks stole from me all used at walmart several over 500.00 and never not once did they ask for an id .Maybe if they would have ask for an id they would have seen that it wasn't me .Can I sue them
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2014, 09:13 PM
    How do you know they didn't have a forged ID? How much has this cost you or is your bank covering the losses?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 18, 2014, 02:54 AM
    No, you may not sue walmart.

Why did you not notify the bank after your check book was stolen ( assume that is what you mean) also report it to the bank and you can not be held responsible for stolen checks.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 18, 2014, 03:20 AM
    Liability is with your bank, who will make whole your funds lost, and Walmart will lose the money and the items. If you had reported the checks stolen, the bank would have closed out your account. If you did that, you have a case against your bank. Trouble is, once you are made whole with regard to funds, you would have to prove some sort of loss (time and aggravation) above the actual money amount, and that isn't likely to be worth suing for.

Keep in mind that just reporting them stolen doesn't mean that person didn't use them him or herself. I had a credit card stolen years ago by a store clerk, and the card bank suspected me, because apparently the wild shopping spree moved from store to store closer and closer to where I lived - a total coincidence, but they told me that the card holder is the first person they suspect as the 'thief!'

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sue walmart for vicarious negligence? [ 12 Answers ]

I dropped a large sum of cash in Walmart parking lot next to my rental car. A good samaritan found it and tried to turn it in

Can I sue WalMart? [ 7 Answers ]

I walked into the store and bumped into this lady's arm. Her husband then shoved me and ended up fractionating my lumbar. Wal mart did nothing to help. I had to call the police and then not one employee stopped to help me. I had to go to the hospital and now can't walk

Can I sue walmart? [ 8 Answers ]

We took our car to walmart to get 2 new tires, one had a screw in it... 2 weeks later another flat tire on the same back passenger tire, same weird screw and in the same spot on tire. We feel as though it is in fact the same tire. When we reached out the lady said that she was watching the video...

I stolen from walmart something about 600$, it's my first time [ 2 Answers ]

I stolen from walmart something about 600$, it's my first time, but I'm not a USA citizen... what's gone happen... I'm really sorry and really scared.

View more questions Search