Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ARB Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2014, 02:49 PM
    (Another) Utility Sink in Basement Question
    Hey guys,

I was hoping to get some practical suggestions on my specific plumbing situation... (After reading tons of discussions on this topic, the only thing I know for sure is that every situation is different!)

So here's my situation... In the picture below, you'll see that my washer drains into a 2" standpipe (far left) and you'll see a 3" drain line going horizontally across (it exits the house just to the right of the pic). I want to place a utility sink to the right of the washer (in place of the second washer you see in the pic). The second picture shows a close-up of the plumbing.

Tapping into the supply lines should be relatively straight-forward, but can you please tell me how you would configure the draining and venting, given the existing plumbing? Unless it adds a great deal of complication, I would prefer to avoid draining the washing machine into the sink.

Thank you!

Name:  Basement 2.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  63.5 KB

Name:  Basement 3.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  56.8 KB
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 14, 2014, 03:10 PM
    Given the existing plumbing, you need to purchase a LAUNDRY TRAY pump and pump the utility sink waste up to the drain line. Here, you would need to cut a 3"x2" wye into the drain line for the utility sink and connect the pump drain to that. The vent from the pump can connect into the washing machine vent by installing an 1.5" sanitary tee fitting upside down...run to the pump vent after that.

Questions? Let me know, OK?

Mark

Feb 14, 2014, 03:52 PM
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply! A couple of follow-up questions...

-- For the 3x2 wye, I suspect that once I cut into the drain line, there will be very little slack due to multiple tie-ins on either side (not to mention that the drain line ties into a cast iron pipe just to the right of the pic... ) Any thoughts on the best way to deal with that?

-- Regarding the washing machine vent and the upside down tee, can you help me better visualize this? First, is my assumption correct that the washing machine vent is the 1½" vertical pipe on the far left? If so, the tee would be on its side, yes?

-- Just out of curiosity, is this type of pump not a good option? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Flotec-1-...860A/100634178

Thank you again!

Allen
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 14, 2014, 04:05 PM
    Because the piping is tight, you would use a SHIELDED CLAMP (see image) to install the wye fitting. Here, you would cut out say 18" of pipe and then install the wye. Measure the remaining pipe, including the make up into the fitting to the cut end of the existing pipe and then minus 1/4" to a 1/2" from that measure (for the rib of the clamp) and then prime/cement that piece onto the pipe (pulling pipe forward). Install the shielded clamp onto the pipe end, flip the rubber part onto itself, align the pipe, slip the pipe into place and then flip the rubber back onto the pipe and slide the clamp on and tighten appropriately.

Correct on the 1.5" vent at the washer ptrap...the sanitary tee fitting would be installed UPSIDE DOWN (inverted) and run over to the sink drain.

That pump you put up is just fine!
    Attached Images

Feb 14, 2014, 05:51 PM
    Regarding the shielded clamp, sounds good... (I've not used one of these before, but once I get my hands on this, I suspect your step-by-step instructions will become very clear... ) Will this Fernco model work just as well?

Attachment 45673
    Now, I had some question about the venting, but before I even go there, if the Flotec pump mentioned above is a good solution, the description says that it does not require a connection to the main-stack vent... Does this mean, then, that I don't have to worry about venting?

Thanks!
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 14, 2014, 05:58 PM
    The STYLE of clamp is fine...it's "shielded", but you want to be sure you purchase one that is 3" plastic to 3" plastic (the one you posted was a 3" cast iron x 3" plastic).

Instructions are very important to follow to the letter, so if your pump instructions say no vent needed then you should be all set!

Feb 15, 2014, 07:51 AM
    Great, thank you very much!!
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 15, 2014, 10:30 AM
    You are welcome!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen Sink/Garbage Disposal back up into Basement Utility Sink [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. Our house is an expanded & completely remodelled older home, with new main floor kitchen incl. garbage disposal and dishwasher which drains into kitchen sink line. Our kitchen sink drain will sometimes backup into our utility sink in the basement, including solid food particles from the...

Kitchen Sink water backing into Utility sink in basement [ 1 Answers ]

I have modified ranch, with kitchen sink with Garbage disposer on first floor and in the basement I have Utility sink next to washing machine. Water is backing up in that basement sink when ever there is large volume of water is released like washing dishes and running disposer . Stink...

Adding A Utility Sink in the Basement [ 5 Answers ]

I want to add a utility sink in my basement. The main stack goes into the basement concrete floor and out to the city sewer line. This stack runs through the attic, venting through the roof to the outdoors. Can I simply tap the drain from the sink directly into this stack without violating any...

Hooking a Utility Sink in basement to Kithcen sink drain [ 2 Answers ]

I'd like to install a utility sink in the basement and have attached a drawing illustrating the current piping and proposed attachment. Basically, the kitchen sink drain goes directly into a drain in the basement floor via a 1-1/2" steel pipe, which is tied to the sewer system. I'd like to put a...

Installing a Utility Sink in Basement [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to install a utility sink in the basement. My question is related to draining and venting said sink. I will attempt to describe my existing setup in order to narrow the response if possible. I am describing from the perspective of being in the basement and looking at the wall and...

View more questions Search