Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tuhin Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2014, 08:44 AM
    "Excess" Modified AGI and contributed Roth IRA
    For 2013, I have exceed Modified AGI limit for Roth Ira contribution.

Do I Morph the Roth into a nondeductible traditional IRA?
    I have also contributed to Roth 401k. Whether I should withdraw 401 K too?

What should be done?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 14, 2014, 08:58 AM
    1. I suggest you recharacterize the Roth IRA contribution as a traditional IRA. You have until April 15th or the date you file your tax return to do this. Contact the plan administrator and they'll provide the forms you need for the recharacterization. Then once the traditional IRA is established if you want you may convert it into a Roth IRA. It's strange, but while the rules don't let you contribute directly to a Roth IRA if you exceed the income limit, they do allow you to contribute to a tradiational IRA and then convert the traditional to a Roth IRA.

2. As for Roth 401(k) - it does not have income limits for contributions, so no need to recharacterize it.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 14, 2014, 09:52 PM
    Ebaines once again has covered it all brilliantly!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What taxes do you pay when you convert a regular IRA to a Roth IRA [ 1 Answers ]

Looking to convert my company IRA funds to a Roth IRA to take advantage of a low level of income in 2012 (and thus a lower tax rate). Do you pay Social Security Tax and Medicare Tax on that conversion as well?

10% penalty when you pay your taxes from IRA during Roth IRA conversion? [ 2 Answers ]

If you are using money of an IRA to pay taxes during roth ira conversion, are the amounts taken out to pay taxes subject to the 10% early withdrawal penalty?

Roth IRA excess contribution [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, On Saturday Mar 17th 2012, I initiated a transfer to contribute $5000 to my Roth IRA for 2011. I hadn't done my taxes, and the next day, I realized I was ineligble for a Roth contribution for the 2011 tax year. I tried to get the pending transfer cancelled on Monday March 19th, but...

Excess Roth IRA removal [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got the following issue: Last year 2010 I put about $3500 in my Roth IRA, but realized then back in Feb 2011 that I exceeded the income limit for contributions by far. Now I sent Vanguard a form to remove all the excess and withhold tax on the gains, which they did. However, I did not...

View more questions Search