Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrichard629 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2014, 07:58 AM
    Repurposing a battery / its charger
    I have an old portable dvd player. It still holds a charge which is fantastic. I don't use it anymore due to digital video and such. I took it apart this morning to look at the guts (out of curiosity) and I got to thinking. Is there a way to adapt the device to be used as a ups. My desired result. I have a raspberry Pi that will host a small website/database thing. Its power requirements are 5v dc 1000 mah (1a) (max input) it routinely uses less than that in idle. The battery is 7.4v DC 3200 mah (3.2a). Is there a way to to regulate the battery to work with the raspberry pi?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 15, 2014, 09:44 AM
    Yes - you could make up a voltage splitter to drop the 7.4V output to 5V to be used as input to the other device. I think it's a pretty safe bet that the current draw will not exceed the DVD battery's capabilities. However, "mAh" is milliamp-hours, and is a measure of how long the battery can produce a certain level of amperage at its rated voltage before running out of juice. It's not a measure of the current draw requirement for the Raspberry nor the current producing ability of the DVD battery, but again - I doubt that's an issue in this case.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2014, 10:59 PM
    Using resistors or some sort of voltage regulation circuit you could use the battery to supply the voltage needed.

Here is a link that may fancy your interest:
    http://www.circuitstoday.com/3a-switching-regulator
    How to Make Your Own Battery Backup Circuit - A Short & Practical Tutorial
    HowHardCanItBe Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Mar 28, 2014, 05:28 PM
    I'm not sure about the Raspberry, but I know that the Arduinos have onboard voltage regulators. Most power supplies need regulating, it's likely that it has it. Just would want to make sure that it's not feeding through a terminal meant only for 5v or you'll let the smoke out :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Broken charger or battery? [ 0 Answers ]

I have got an Advent Roma 1000 and have had it for about 3 years. I have been onitfor about half an hour while it was plugged in on charge, not realising that it wasn't actually charging, it then gave me the message to plug in my charger, which left me puzzled because it was in fact plugged in. I...

Battery or charger or phone? [ 1 Answers ]

Charging depends on battery or charger or phone

Need a diode for a battery charger [ 5 Answers ]

I have an automotive Exide battery charger Model 15002 that has the connection tab broken off on one of the diodes. I need to replace the diode. It is pressed in and I have removed it. Diameter of the Diode is .500 inches and it is about .250 inches deep. Battery Charger has 3 ranges 75/23/12...

How do battery stay charger [ 3 Answers ]

Craftman 15hp won't start with the key and how it stay charged

The car battery charger. [ 1 Answers ]

How can we access the car cigarette lighter power source for other purposes, e.g. as a battery charger or an electric shaver? Does it provide DC power?

View more questions Search