Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shashankmalik83 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2014, 05:37 PM
    Do I need to file extension and what forms?
    I came to US on December 25th 2009 as an F1 student in Syracuse University, NY from India. I was on Student visa (F1) and OPT which is also part on F1 visa till Sept 30, 2013. I changed my status to H1B starting Oct 1, 2013. I got married in 2011 and my spouse lives in US on dependent visa F2 till Sept 30 2013 and now on H4. She is also from India. Reading in various forum it seems that I can file my taxes for 2013 as a Dual status if I wait to clear Substantial Presence test in 2014. Is this right, how long should I wait and will it be advantageous. Do I need to file extension and what forms?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 13, 2014, 06:09 PM
    Options are:

1) File dual-status or as a non-resident and claim your wife as a dependent. The tax refund will be the same either way, but you have to wait until 1 June 2014 to file dual-status. You can file as a non-resident IMMEDIATELY.

2) File a JOINT return with your wife and also wait until 1 June 2014 to file. Tax refund will be a LOT higher. This is the best course of action in my opinion.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 13, 2014, 06:09 PM
    You will file Form 4868 to request an extension so you can wait until 1 June 2014 to file.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to change file extension name .exe into file folder? [ 1 Answers ]

My file folder have suddenly change the extension file name into .exe, how can I restore my files? Help me please...

How can I file for Tax Extension [ 1 Answers ]

How can I file for Tax Extension... and what would be new deadline

How to file for an extension? [ 1 Answers ]

I am on h1-b visa. I got married in December 2007 and my wife will join me(on H4 visa) in another 3 months. I like to fill my tax as `Married Filing Jointly', so I thought of getting extension. I know how to get extension from federal tax. But don’t know how get it for state tax. My question...

How and when to file for an extension to evict? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a tenant who is living in an apartment with my 3 year old daughter I refused to pay rent when I found out that my gas space heater in my bedroom was illegal in a bedroom so it could not be turned on. I have a letter from the health department that came in the mail after my time to appeal was...

View more questions Search