Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lainey Chea Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2014, 01:40 AM
    My Mom Won't Let Me Wear A Strapless Dress
    Hi my name is Lainey. I am 15 years old. My mom won't let me wear a strapless dress for prom. I was planning to sneak back to the house to take off the black and gold straps she sewed on! But no. She now knows. And the straps, they don't match the dress the dress is red and blur no white nor gold HELP!! 1 THE WNTER DANCE IS IN 7 DAYS!!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 13, 2014, 01:42 AM
    You do what your mother tells you to do. You wear the dress, get another dress that has straps that match, or you don't go to the dance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 13, 2014, 01:46 AM
    You first should not have bought a dress with no straps without asking mom. That is the first obvious issue.

Mom would not have had to sew on straps, if you had bought proper dress to start with.

With that said, go and find some material for straps that will match and ask mom to change the straps.

You are actually lucky, had you been my child and I found out you were planning on sneaking and doing something, I said not to, you would not even be going to the dance.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 13, 2014, 04:23 AM
    Who bought the dress? Did you earn the money that paid for it? I suspect your Mom is trying to send you a message with the straps (or she might be color-blind). You have a couple of choices to make now. You can get all dramatic, have a big fight, and end up not going or wearing something worse(think sailor suit) OR you can be calm, talk to your Mom, and reach a compromise that both of you can live with. A good starting offer would be spaghetti straps but settle for co-ordinated colors.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Feb 13, 2014, 08:04 AM
    You're 15 and if your mom does not want you wearing a strapless dress, you don't wear one. Get some straps that match and enjoy the dance.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 13, 2014, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainey Chea View Post
    Hi my name is Lainey. I am 15 years old. My mom won't let me wear a strapless dress for prom. I was planning to sneak back to the house to take off the black and gold straps she sewed on! But no. She now knows. And the straps, they don't match the dress the dress is red and blur no white nor gold HELP!! 1 THE WNTER DANCE IS IN 7 DAYS!!
    Calm down enough to be able to communicate what color the straps are. Is your Winter Dance the same thing as Prom? I ask because in many places they are separate dances.

Throwing a fit and getting yourself worked up is not going to help your cause.

Frankly, you might start by showing maturity by accepting your mother's decision and thanking her for allowing you attend the dance.

Next, look at straps that might fit the dress better and respectfully ask your mother to teach you how to exchange the straps. If she doesn't want to change the straps, look at shawl or short jacket to cover them or add accessories that make them work together. Shoes, purse, jewelry, hairstyle, etc. can all change the look of an outfit.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to ask my mom for a strapless bra? [ 34 Answers ]

Okay so I am going to a bat mitzvah in November and I don't know what dress I'm wearing yet but I just have a feeling that I might need a strapless bra with it. What do I say to my mom to ask for one?

Do you like wear indian ethnic wear dress? [ 3 Answers ]

I belong to India and only follow latest Indian tradition fashion.

What Formal Dress Should I Wear? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I need to know what type and colour dress I should wear to the graduation ball In year 10 I wore green & In year 11 I wore purple I want to wear something different this year, to suit me *Im a short girl at 5ft3, so I don't want a long dress I will trip over, I don't want to wear a...

What shoes to wear with my dress? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, I have to go to a wedding so I bought a dark teal bubble dress that ends right before my knees. I didn't really want to wear heels, but if those are the best shoes for the dress I will. Also, on the straps there are some type of wooden beads, so I was thinking brown shoes. I'm not really good...

View more questions Search