Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sadface Posts: 154, Reputation: 2

Feb 13, 2014, 08:13 AM
    About the whole situation really and her thinking he ripped her off when we knew their financial situation. He was the only one who got help, was there himself and sorted things calls and running around for them and fixed the lock for them.. over a bank holiday weekend for 50 euro!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 13, 2014, 08:16 AM
    Let it go. Likely they will both calm down. You should too.

Feb 13, 2014, 08:19 AM
    Yes i have too

Thank you all for helping
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2014, 08:26 AM
    Your first description was "called the crane operators to help etc" so I assumed and I shouldn't have- that the crane operators were co-workers or friends who helped with their hands and tools. But a crane to get into a dwelling with a broken lock? If she was charged for a crane and several workmen, it could be a very hefty cost that she wasn't prepared for.
    Yes, you have to stay out of it but the charge for the work may have been a lot more than you are thinking that it might have been.
    And by staying out of it, you can't find out things like - how much was she charged, was she given an estimate of what it would cost, were other options like using a locksmith considered, and I know it was Sunday and maybe not easy to get a locksmith, but even getting a hotel room and waiting for a locksmith to come the next day might have been a lot less cost. I am just saying that in my opinion, using a crane to gain access to a dwelling is out of the ordinary.
    If they charged her the normal company rate for the crane, operators, travel time, your husbands time, plus materials etc- it could easily have been, just guessing-
    $ 500 or more.
    Even more reasons for you to stay out of it, but don't judge any of those involved as there are too many variables and too many unknowns here.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 13, 2014, 05:15 PM
    I understand why you're upset. This is why I never ever do business with family or friends. It never ends well and sadly I learned that the hard way.

Friends and family always think they should get a deal because of their relationship with you, even if getting a deal means you pay out of pocket to help them.

It's all about the money for them, it's about feeling they should have had free service, your husband and you should have swallowed the costs, because you're friends.

I would do something incredibly stupid, which I don't advise you to do, and I'd send her a message on fb, or email, or text, asking if she thought you should pay for her issues because of your friendship? 50 Euros is nothing for what your husband did.

Does she expect you and your husband to pay for her troubles? That's not a friend, that's a mooch. You're well rid of her if that's the case.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 13, 2014, 06:15 PM
    I'm in business selling used cars and friends and family always seem to expect me to give them some incredible deal...never mind how much it will cost me. Like I should just give them a car simply because I have cars on my lot. Afterall, I'm in business...I must have money rolling out of my butt! Surely I can afford to lose money as long as they benefit from it!

Sometimes I feel that's what people think and that's why they expect everything that they do.

I agree with Alty...mooch...you're better off without her if that's how she is.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2014, 08:39 PM
    $ 68.00. Missed that. (obviously) Yes, major mooch.

Feb 14, 2014, 01:07 AM
    She even called my husband sneaky and that he took over the situation because all she wanted was his contacts so they contact everyone themselves because they know his work is not cheap.. she doesn't realize that his contacts would have done nothing for her over a bank holiday weekend they did it for my husband because he has a name a good reputation (but then before he charged them they had a list of things for him to do around their house) ...

I am truly annoyed at her.. her intentions where exactly as you all said, because she didn't indirectly tell me but said we are friends for 18 years and yet I was charged an arm and a leg for less then 1 hours work... and was SHOCKED at the cost... I repeat. 50 euros!! she added we were going to offer him some money because we are NOT cheap and then kept giving me quotes from other people..

I am saddened that she doesn't see the bigger picture he didn't help for less then 1 hr but 3 days... but she thought we did that because we cared meaning 'FREE' the cheek or what?!

She also said when she calms down she will arrange to meet with my husband to talk about it , because when something is incorrect it should be discussed.. I said yes better because he needs to calm down also after being accused of this he is very upset!

My husband doesn't want her in our house anymore!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 14, 2014, 02:54 AM
    Nothing to talk over, she owes for the service.

* after that, of course, why a crane ? And did I miss, how much was the charge to her

Feb 14, 2014, 03:26 AM
    The crane people charged her 30 euro for being there 30 minutes! They had to come as they needed someone to go through their balcony to get to their house indoors to open as they broke their key in their front door lock.. and my husband organised the crane people.. and went up the hoist and climbed in their balcony.. 5 stories high!!

I did marketing research.. picked up the yellow pages and found handyman section and picked 3 at random.. called and asked how much they would charge me to come fix a lock just like hers.. and guess how much they quoted.. the 3 of them said - 50 euro!!

I think I will inform her about this. And tell her to do so same..
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 14, 2014, 04:41 AM
    One thing that hasn't been established is did he give them an estimate before doing the work? It all comes down to what was said between them and I am not certain there was clear communication.

As I said before this is something he needs to deal with. Hurt feelings or ticked off, it is still his business.

Feb 14, 2014, 04:46 AM
    They never asked him.. and that is one policy I have always ask the price before anything not assume!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 14, 2014, 04:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sadface View Post
    They never asked him.. and that is one policy I have always ask the price before anything not assume!
    And he didn't say?

Feb 14, 2014, 04:54 AM
    He gave them price when his finished his works and they paid him
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 14, 2014, 04:59 AM
    She has a basis for complaint. I own a service business myself. I have repeating service clients that I need to develop a relationship with that sometimes borders on friendship. I have lost thousands over the years before learning one simple thing: Money First. It sounds crass, it doesn't build friendships, it even loses some, but getting the money out of the way before anything else is done preserves my integrity and my reputation. Do I give special deals to friends? Sure, but everybody knows the deal ahead of time.

From this point, my advice would be to negotiate with her, showing her the other estimates, and MAYBE coming off the price a little, simply to make up for the miscommunication.

He gave them price when his finished his works and they paid him
    Never mind my advice. If they wanted to negotiate, the time was before the deal was done. Now she just wants to be a .b!tch.

Feb 14, 2014, 05:04 AM
    Thank you Catsmine

I open the yellow pages, went under handyman section, picked a few and called them and ask them for a quote for fixing a new motura 4 bolt door lock OK.. they quoted me 50 euros
    All of them

I asked her nicely to call handymen to get quotes for fixing a lock etc
    And she replied saying this :-
    No problem I have already spoken to quite a few of mum's friends who at the moment have a plumber/ electrician, handy many available for fixing anything! At a cost of 80 euro a day, good price for a good worker, plus she discussed with her Maltese friends who were shocked at the amount paid! From several people and I personally called two handy men and explained what type of door and how much it would cost. Plus in the third phone call I told your husband if I needed him to come ill call, and I then obviously who have a asked how much Aprox this could cost. Never expected to even see him there!! Plus asked you why did you come! I just need the phone no of lift people , as my neibour was willing to help under the circumstances! But it's fine kris. We talk in person as this could go on for ages on text SMS, on bus to michael's funeral, bumpy bus so texting isn't easy. Talk in person as I have no time to check again. Thanks
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 14, 2014, 04:28 PM
    It does sound like she called your husband asking for advice, and he then just showed up, did the job, without asking if she wanted him to. If that's the case, she does have a reason to complain. Doesn't sound like there was an intention to hire him. Is that the case? Did your husband decide on his own to do this job without actually being hired to do it?

I agree she got a good price, and if she actually agreed for him to do the work, my original opinion about her being a mooch, stands. But, if she called your husband asking for his opinion, or help finding someone to do the work, and he just decided to do the work without discussing it with her, or okaying it with her, and then charging her for it, that's really not okay.

Feb 15, 2014, 12:38 AM
    To be honest this was discussed between them not me as such however from what I heard.. she called my husband over 5 times asking for numbers for people to help etc but was getting no where for hours so in the end I believe my husband too the initiative to go and help out.. and at first he was helping, we went because we cared.. but as things turned out over bank holiday weekend and took 3 days in total I guess he put a price on it... My friend if she did NOT want him to there could have simply told him we don't need you.. you can go.. or we have it under control..or even asked if this would cost. And on a second note if she really didnt want him there how come on the 3rd day they wrote him a list of things to do around their house?!!!!

I said to both a lot of miss communication really..

But after all he saved the day well 3 at that for 50 euro...

They love to victimise themselves and are complete moaners about everything.

I think in long run he saved them time and money

Mar 4, 2014, 02:44 AM
    She has made no contact with my husband to discuss this matter.. so all she did was wine me up and play with my emotions about all of this.. she messages me and says she is very upset BUT hello what about us.. she said we should mee to discuss this when it suitable for me. I said there is nothing to discuss... just agree to disagree... but her calling my hiusband sneaky and ripping her off is very hurtful and she won't apaologise for that so I wondering whether to leave her alone or bother with her again??
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2014, 06:49 AM
    Am I the only one trying to figure out why one needs a crane to change a lock?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore dishwasher lights flashing: "Hi Temp" & "Heat Dry" [ 0 Answers ]

I've tried 3x now to run the dishwasher on Normal Wash mode, and it starts running correctly. When I come back to it later, however, the lights above Hi Temp & Heat Dry are blinking and the dishes are soaking wet. The keypad is still responsive and everything else seems to work. Does anyone know...

I did "Salt & Ice Challenge." My arm still itches & burns. I did it two days ago.. [ 2 Answers ]

Could anyway tell me why it still does. If and when is it going to stop. Doing this challenge was the stupiedest thing I have ever done so far.. I have a little red mark on my left arm & its red around my mark + I'm sort of getting a few little bumps like pimples but there not pimples, there from...

View more questions Search