Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    braveheart007 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2014, 08:30 AM
    Friends in need
    Hi again all, I just want to ask. I've got a male friend who is always depressed, but he hasn't been diagnosed with depression. He's my age and in grade nine as well. He's really good in sports but average in academics. He blames himself for everything and I fear things might happen. Its not helping that his girlfriend is using him and playing him. He hasn't realised and it just making him worse. She was going to break up and then she told him then changed her mind etc etc etc.

My best friends try to cheer him up but nothing seems to work. I don't feel its so serious but he really good hearted and he shouldn't look at life like its all blaming him. Please help... thank you.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Feb 11, 2014, 08:59 AM
    Change, including looking for help, needs to be realized by the person. They need to want to have help. If you tell a person who is a comfortable alcoholic that he's a alcoholic and needs to stop drinking well they're just going to blow you off. If a person doesn't want help they're not going to accept it.

And to be honest this is high school. This is when all this crap happens. It is learn, not math and sciences, but inter relational skills as well. This is a bad situation for him, but it is his to deal with. All you can do is talk to him. He will either see the light, unlikely, or continue on. Can't give you any other advice.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 11, 2014, 09:43 AM
    You can not change someone else, and people dating, seldom listen to anyone else, and have to experience the pain. That is how we learn and grow.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 11, 2014, 10:46 AM
    Recognize that as much as you want to help and support your friend, its up to him to actually be willing to listen and take your (or anyone else's) suggestions. No one but him can control that.
    braveheart007 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2014, 11:25 AM
    Thank you, I really appreciate it!! : D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

One of my bfs friends that is a girl won't stop texting him and says she's his best friends [ 5 Answers ]

I have been dating my boyfriend for two months and one of his friends that is a girl (he has a few that are) won't stop texting him when we are together. I have asked him to tell her to back off the texting when we are together and he did and she gave him a gilt trip saying that they are best...

My friends husband cosign for a apartment and she use her first name and my friends s [ 1 Answers ]

My friends husband use as a cosigner for a apt lease without her knowledge and they use another name with the husband last name and thet want to get out of the lease what is the procedure to go tru this the landlord said that the husband can be out off the lease if the other tenant will find...

Friends that don't notice you but say your friends [ 3 Answers ]

Since I'm really shy my friends don't notice me as much and when I start middle school I want to start new, like suddenly after two months I'm actually not shy anymore. But I'm not sure how do that and what if I leave them will they tell all my secrets. So I need help and fast.

Ex is seeing a lot of one of my best friends. Think I'm losing friends everywhere [ 5 Answers ]

Ok, not to bore anyone with details, but my ex and I broke up a couple of months ago, and I've found it excruciating to deal with my feelings. I have good and bad days, and a couple of days ago would have been our 2 year anniversary. I've noticed that one of my best friends is getting very close...

View more questions Search