Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jojo1351 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2014, 12:21 PM
    17 and desperate
    I am 17 right now and will be turning 18 in June, I have recently found out that they changed the law here in Texas about leaving at 18 so I was wondering when I'm 18 can I move out without getting cops called on me by my parents? And if I can move out, can they make me go back?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2014, 12:23 PM
    You do know what goes with that... if you move out mom and dad won't have to give you a dime to eat, pay the rent or anything else. Do you have a full time job that pays enough for all that? Very, VERY few 17 year olds do. And minimum wage won't cut it.

Feb 10, 2014, 12:27 PM
    I'm moving in with my boyfriend and I just want to know if I can leave or not I don't need my "mommy or daddys" help
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 10, 2014, 12:43 PM
    What will happen to you when you and your boyfriend split? Do you have your high school diploma? Are you using at least two forms of birth control? How old is the boyfriend?

Feb 10, 2014, 12:48 PM
    Then we split, I'm about to finish high school in 3 months and I'm on the pill and 21, why does that matter
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Feb 10, 2014, 12:54 PM
    It matters because whether you can leave means nothing if you are not financially prepared to leave, and you're not. You are counting on a boyfriend. How old is he?
    What if you do get pregnant or he leaves, can you take care of yourself? I would guess not.

Feb 10, 2014, 01:01 PM
    What's with you people and those quotes...
    Enyways when I move in with him I'm going to get a job and he wants a baby so I don't think he would leave mi cause of that and 21
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 10, 2014, 01:02 PM
    The age of majority in TX is 18 So once you turn 18 you can leave. The reason why Wondergirl's questions matter is because no form of birth control is 100% so you could get pregnant even if on the pill. And because if he is very much older, there are other laws that might be invoked.

But the main thing is that if you do split up you will then need to support yourself. If you leave you may not be able to run home to your parents if things don't work out. It would be much better if you leave on good terms so you have a safety net.
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2014, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo1351 View Post
    Then we split, I'm about to finish high school in 3 months and I'm on the pill and 21, why does that matter

It matters because you also made this claim...

I am 17 right now and will be turning 18 in June, I have recently found out that they changed the law here in Texas about leaving at 18 so I was wondering when I'm 18 can I move out without getting cops called on mi by my parents? And if I can can they make mi go back?

Are you 17 now or are you 21? You can't be both.

And just so you know...women get pregnant every day while on the pill ( I know several on just this site)......its not 100% effective.

Feb 10, 2014, 01:09 PM
    I'm pretty ready to move out, it would make my life much easier and once I'm 18 does it matter how old he is...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 10, 2014, 01:10 PM
    Guys want babies all the time, get a girlfriend pregnant, and when that cute little baby cries all night, takes up a lot of the paycheck for diapers and other stuff, they decide fatherhood isn't for them after all. And like Scott said, do not burn your bridges behind you. Your parents might be your salvation in six months.

Feb 10, 2014, 01:10 PM
    I'm 18 he's 21

I'm not ready to have a kid and he knows and I don't need my parents haven't in a while
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 10, 2014, 01:12 PM
    I'm pretty ready to move out
    And this means what?

I'm 18 he's 21
    No, you're 17.

I'm not ready to have a kid and he knows and I don't need my parents haven't in a while
    You said he wants a baby.
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2014, 01:18 PM
    At 21 I doubt he's got all that good of a job... money's going to be tight... and while he might be able to support himself... its not going to be cheap to support you as well... and everything else that goes with it.

Also real life isn't al sunshine and fairytales, and if you think its hard now... just wait until you have none of the money and help your parents have provided until then... an it is not insignificant. Most young people have a far lower standard of living when they leave home... it takes many years just to get back to that level much less improve upon it. Most never do improve on it these days.

And at both of your ages... neither of you have finished maturing emotionally... meaning neither of you will be the same people in just a few more years that you are now. That usually is the kiss of death an any relationship. Even if an unexpected child doesn't happen.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Feb 10, 2014, 01:19 PM
    Enyways when I move in with him I'm going to get a job and he wants a baby so I don't think he would leave mi cause of that and 21
    What kind of job are you going to get with just a high School diploma that will allow you to take care of yourself?
    How old is he and what kind of job does he have?
    Guys always say they want a baby, especially to a teenager. He gets you pregnant then he gets on with his life without you.
    I was ready to leave home when I was 17 too but I also knew I did not have the money to do it and did not want to be tied down to some guy taking care of me. Get yourself a job and save some money. Look at the cost of rents and grocery bills and such so you can have a better idea of how much money you are going to need. Another thing to think about, do you have health insurance? You are going to need it for prenatal care.
    Don't run from the authority of your parents to another authority (a boyfriend taking care of you) be independent. How old is this guy?

Do you live with your parents now? If so, they supply housing. You don't have a job, so who pays for your food, clothing school fees, health insurance...
    This 21 year has your head in the clouds. You are not thinking realistically and you have no clue how much it would cost to live in your own.
    How long have you known this 21 year old that you now are wanting to move in with? Are you parents aware you are dating and having sex with a 21 year old?

Feb 10, 2014, 01:35 PM
    We already decided I'm moving out when I'm 18... no I don't plan to have a baby yet and not for awhile, yess he's 21 I don't care I love him and we got our minds set on how our lives are going to be.
    All I wanted to know is that if I leave can my parents do something about it? But I still haven't had the answer so I'm guessing its yes.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 10, 2014, 01:36 PM
    "Those quotes" are our signatures. Some use the signature for quotes, others for links or information about themselves.

jojo, part of what has me worried and probably the others too is that you are young and all but running away from home. You are relying on a man who as an adult became involved with a teen. Many of us have seen relationships like yours end with very negative results. Usually because they didn't expect the amount of work and energy it takes to live with another person who isn't family and can walk out at any time.

It doesn't mean you don't love him and he doesn't care about you at this point in time. What worries me is that right now you are in a us against them mentality. You are so focused on getting away from your parents that you could be ignoring major warning signs. Living together is a very different relationship than dating. You won't be able to blame your parents for the stress or disagreements. It will just the two of you trying to make things work. The dirty laundry, dishes, and other daily chores will be all yours and they get old very quickly. The bills will be all yours too.

Getting a job and finishing high school will not be easy. Add an 'accidental' pregnancy and your future will a thousand times harder than it should be.

One thing to learn now is that the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence. Whatever you decide to do, go into it with your eyes wide open and without the emerald colored glasses.

Feb 10, 2014, 01:36 PM
    I never said anything about sex yes they know I'm dating him they like him
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2014, 01:38 PM
    Why are you on birth control at 17 if you weren't having sex?

Feb 10, 2014, 01:40 PM
    Its not for sexual reasons... and I'm ready and I know I practically live with him I clean make food and doo all the chores I'm used of it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Desperate. [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend have been together over a year. In the beginning everything was perfect. But after a year together and living together we seem to be fighting more and he gets very angry out of nowhere and half the time it’s not because anything I did . He says he wants us to start over again to...

Im desperate [ 7 Answers ]

My children's father got the kids for the summer and now he won't let me contact them via the telephone. I don't know where his residence is. What can I do?

Desperate for help [ 0 Answers ]

I'm in a crisis, I have been diagnosed with severe anxiety, depression, and social anxiety, I have been on medication for years and I recently had to quit my job because I couldn't handle it anymore, I was prescribed xanax 3mg xr twice a day and wellbrutin 300mg once a day, the medications is not...

Please Help... desperate [ 9 Answers ]

Hey people... I really need some advice... I have been seeing a guy I work with for just over a month now and he was head over heels for me even though I wasn't too keen to begin with but he won me over... neway... everythin was going great until a week ago when he had some terrbile news about a...

View more questions Search