Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Apr 2, 2007, 08:47 AM
    Any chronic underachievers out there?
    This might sound like a joke, but I'm wondering if others are out there who struggle with issues related to underachievement? I scoured the library and found only one book on the topic. Trying to figure out why I continue to tolerate my own habit of performing well below my capability. I have a very high IQ but was a B student who never brought a book home and never studied. In work, the moment I master the job, I loose interest, so though I have every capability to blow my peers and competition out of the water, I pale in comparisson to them in terms of results. The moment I think something is stupid, I want to change it instead of complying so I always have a ready reason for thinking that not just going with the flow and playing the game - which would result in me succeeding so that I can get promoted to more challenging responsibilities - is justified. I kill my own opportunities every time.

I have a great deal of understanding of how to be more successful in all areas of life, and simply don't do it. Though most people would be satisfied with what I've achieved, and what I have materially, I feel like a huge failure because it's lackluster and unsatisfying compared to what I want and am capable of achieving. It's in every aspect of life - even in my hobbies, someone once told me my paintings are great and I could sell them, which killed my interest in painting completely. I didn't realize it at the time, but I haven't had a decent idea ever since the idea of attaching value to my work was put on the table.

I'm about to embark on taking over a family business that has all the potential in the world to exceed my ambitions financially, and can also help me provide everything I've ever wanted my parents to have in their retirement. I'm afraid of defeating myself in this business as I have done so many times in the past, and want to get this horrible, self-destructive habit under control before I even step foot in the door. I'm looking for help, advice, resources.

Anyone out there who understands what I'm talking about?
    inquisitivegirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2007, 06:59 AM
    Truthfully, you need to realize that you're in need of some in-depth personal evaluation & to make it your mission to change your habits. I would recommend seeing a professional to talk about it because you could have a "block" in your mind that's keeping you from life.

I will say that I understand, since I too get "bored" for some reason. One thing you could try is to visualize your life as you would like it to be. I mean really visualize it. See yourself as you want to see yourself going about your day. Write it down in great detail: how you feel about the people around you each day, how you feel inside, how you go about your days at work and at play. Read it every day afterwards and realize that there are steps you can take to see your dream to fruition. One thing is you must not be idle each day, you must have a "schedule" that you keep to and force yourself to complete tasks. Every day is a step in the right direction if you just ACT! I feel better and more inspired to be a "workhorse" as tasks get completed. Hard work is always rewarded & tends to grow like a garden when time is spent working on it.

Hah! I just realized that I needed to remind myself just how important this can be. Thanks & good luck!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 8, 2007, 08:13 AM
    You sound like you need to be a business cousultant, who just goes from business to business helping to get things going, and then you move on,

You have that pioneer spriit that made the early settlers go west against all odds and then move on again.

There are many who are not coporate types who want to merely fit in to a office environment.

Also you may want to look at your own business, were would we be if many of today's people all felt satisfied in everyday life

Of perhaps a sales field where you are old in the field, and compete against your own personal goals??
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Apr 10, 2007, 05:00 AM
    Thank you both. I will consider your advice and make the most of it.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chronic PAIN! [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I've had chronic pain that begain in my arms and shoulders it was horrific pain. Later I had what felt like pressure in my lower right side back. Well this turned into stabbing ungodly pain that had me shaking it was soooooooo bad. I WAS BED RIDDEN FOR 2YRS with pain in my back that felt like I...

Chronic Headaches [ 1 Answers ]

What do you suggest to help a teenager who has a headache all the time, she is 17 now and has had headaches since puberty. Some times they are severe and other days milder but they are ALWAYS there.

Chronic nightmares [ 24 Answers ]

I was diagnosed with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) 8 years ago, after witnessing a shooting in my family. I used to have very dehabilitating symptoms and wasn't able to go to school or work, but after years of intensive treatments I've improved dramatically. However, I still have constant,...

Chronic Crushes [ 5 Answers ]

I've been in a relationship with a wonderful person for almost 4 years now. I love him dearly and would never jeopardize what we have. The most annoying thing is that I have found myself having crushes, the most recent of which has got me thinking about the relationship. This new crush is not a...

View more questions Search