Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1curiousj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2014, 06:35 PM
    Any rights for longtime renter in Los Angeles with no lease?
    Any rights without a lease? Living 35 years in Los Angeles rent control apt with no lease. Did not ask permission but nothing said 25 years ago when I put up trellis with a screen door on porch area for plants and privacy due to a driveway a few feet away. Landlord suddenly wants it removed.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2014, 07:08 PM
    He owns the property... he makes that decision. Doesn't matter how long its been there if you put it there. It doesn't matter if you had a written lease or not.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 10, 2014, 04:46 AM
    If he has seen it, and was OK with it before you have some room for discussion. Have you asked them why they want it down ? Is it the same landlord ?

But they can order remodeling, and how the house is to be fixed up. I will say, is this a 25 year improvement, how does it look now ? Perhaps they are concerned or have complaints on how it looks.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 10, 2014, 10:08 AM
    Now that the legal question has been answered:

What if he had objected 25 years ago? You'd still be out time and money. You've enjoyed them for all these years, and although it might be pleasant for your privacy, is it possible that they are getting sort of decrepit? Perhaps there is some nice way you can find out what he doesn't like, and might like better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renter's rights without a lease [ 4 Answers ]

I currently live in an apartment building and recently received a "notice of sherriff's sale" for the property where I live which is located in northwest Indiana. The property is due to go in "public auction by sherriff department in June". I am not familiar with real estate law so I am confused...

Renter in los angeles who's townhouse is being auctioned [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a town house in marina del rey, built in 1970 and is under rent control because of its age. Our contract has expired as of 9/30/09. The owners have disclosed to us that the place is in foreclosure and will be auctioned off on the 7th of October. I have not found another place to live yet,...

TR in los angeles [ 1 Answers ]

Any one knows where to get TR for retouch in los angels, santa monica area? And if my hair is falling out from the last TR, it was 3 months ago, is the new TR going to be applied only to the new hair or the treated hair as well?

View more questions Search