Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Troy28 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2014, 01:51 PM
    Receptacle has no power!
    We just moved into a 21yr old home. I replaced the receptacles in the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms up stairs. After replacing them, all the ones in bedroom 2 work fine. But, only one is working in bedroom 3.

As you walk into the room, to your left is the light switch and receptacle bow and to the side of that. That one is the only one that works. I have figured out that the wiring runs counter clockwise in this room. I did a continuity test with a volt meter from the first receptacle (that is working) to the next. I have discovered that I am not getting current through the black (hot) wire.

What I do not understand is how changing just the receptacles would cause a break. I have look, pulled, pushed and twisted the black wire in each receptacle box and can not find any breaks. All of the receptacles in rooms 2 and 3 are on one breaker. The breaker works and has never tripped. I have climbed up into attic and looked at wire and it looks fine, no signs of breaks or tears.

Any help of what could have happened and how to fix!!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 8, 2014, 02:08 PM
    Did the receptacles work before you replaced them?

Is there a ceiling light in this room?

You said you did a continuity check. I'm betting you mean you did a voltage check.

How were you able to determine that the circuit runs counter clockwise?
    Assuming you mean counter clockwise when you are standing in the door and the working receptacle is to the left, that would mean that the working receptacle is the last in the circuit. That means power is passing through all the other receptacles to get to it.

Describe the wiring in each receptacle box.

Feb 8, 2014, 04:06 PM
    1) Yes, the receptacles all worked before replacing them.2) Yes, there is a ceiling light that is ran from the light switch by the door. (It is also on a separate breaker.)3) I did both a voltage test and an Ohms (continuity) test. 4) Room layout... Walk into the room and it is open to the left and a wall to the right. The receptacle to the left of the door is the first outlet in that room. It is the only working one. It has four wires (2 black and 2 white plus the ground). Volt meter shows power coming into that outlet but it is not getting to the others. So, naming that as number 1 and going counter clockwise. 2nd outlet has fours wires. 3rd outlet has four wires. 4th outlet has four wires and 5th (last) outlet has two wires. (which tells me it is the last outlet of the circuit) So, I turned the breaker off and on outlet one I connected the black and white wire leading out (since I have established which wire is the hot coming in) to outlet number 2 and I checked the ohms (continuity) at outlet 2 and had none. I then connected the black and ground wire at outlet 1 and again checked it at outlet 2 and had none. I then connected the white and ground wires at number 1 and checked it at number 2 and had connection. So that told me I had a break or something in the black wire. I did the same test from outlet 2 to outlet 3 with the black and white wire and it works. So, I sure that the problem is from outlet 1 to outlet 2 and in the black wire.Harold, I hope this helps.

Feb 8, 2014, 05:57 PM
    I then connected the white and ground wires at number 1 and checked it at number 2 and had connection
    If that means you ran a neutral (white) and a ground (bare) from outlet 1 to outlet 2 and everything works, that would mean that there is a break in the neutral in the wall.
    That in it self would be highly unusual.

First, note that the ground wire is for certain safety purposes. It is not part of the circuity. Next, note that when you do a voltage check you are measuring the difference in voltage between the hot conductor and a grounded (neutral) conductor. You are not measuring the voltage on the hot conductor. If the neutral is not grounded, you will get a reading of 0 even there is really 120 volts on the hot. When doing a voltage check, double check by doing a voltage check between the hot and the ground. A 0 reading between the hot and neutral and 120V between the hot and ground indicates a break in the neutral.

At times it is desirable to have one half of a duplex outlet hot all the time and have the other half controlled by a switch. That allows a lamp plugged into the switched half and be turned on and off by the switch. That is the reason I ask if there is a ceiling light.

To do that you separate the hot terminals by breaking tab between the two screws.

There is almost zero chance that you had a break in the neutral in the wall, at the same tine you decided to replace the outlets. I am willing to bet a pizza that someone screw up and broke the tab on the neutral side of an outlet. Then returned it and you had the misfortune to purchase it.

Check outlet number one to see if the tabs between the screws have been removed. Check both hot and neutral sides.
    Better check outlet number two also.

Feb 8, 2014, 08:13 PM
    I had already checked the tab on the side of the receptacle and it was still in tack. But, to take the receptacle out of the equation, I took it out and wired the black to black and white to white on outlet number 1. I turned the breaker back on and went to outlet number 2 and checked the voltage on both the black to ground and white to ground. Both shoed zero (0)

Feb 8, 2014, 08:42 PM
    If I understand correctly

You have 120 volts black to white at outlet 1.
    You connected black to black and white to white at outlet 1.
    You have no voltage, black to white or black to ground at outlet 2.

What is on the other side of the wall? Could there be another outlet in a room on the other side of that wall?

Feb 8, 2014, 09:08 PM
    That is correct. There is nothing on the other side of that wall. This is an upstairs bedroom. On the other side of that wall is open air to the downstairs living room.

Feb 8, 2014, 09:22 PM
    You said that you went into the attic. Are there any wires on this circuit in the attic?

We just moved into a 21yr old home.
    Are you sure that outlets 2, 3, 4 and 5 worked before you changed out the outlets.

Feb 8, 2014, 09:29 PM
    Yes, I found the wire and looked at it. It looked fine. I did not see any signs of break, tears, rubs or anything else that would lead me to believe there was a break. The wire was under the blown in insulation and when I pushed the insulation back to inspect it, I did not see any signs of rodents…aka, mouse or rat droppings nor signs of squirrels being in there.

Feb 8, 2014, 09:33 PM
    Also, Yes I’m sure they all worked before changing them out. We lived there two weeks before I got the chance to change them out. I changed them out because the old owners had painted over them and some were kind of loose when you plugged something in. Also, one had some of the plastic broken on it and I did not feel it safe to be exposed.

Feb 8, 2014, 09:38 PM
    Can you describe the wires in the attic? Did any come down the wall where outlet 2 is?

Feb 8, 2014, 09:48 PM
    The wire in the attic comes up the wall from outlet #1 and then crosses over at an angle over the ceiling joists and back down the wall where outlet #2 is at. It is hard to see or get to the point where the wire goes into the top of the wall at outlet #2 because of the angle of the roof. It is a small tight space.

Feb 8, 2014, 10:14 PM
    Attachment 45634

Feb 8, 2014, 10:16 PM
    That's a little unusual. Most of the time an electrician would run the wires through the walls. Is the door between outlet 1 and outlet 2?

Suggest you disconnect all wires in outlet 1 and outlet 2, including the ground wires. Turn power on and do a voltage check between the black and white to determine the hot cable. Run a cable from outlet 1 to outlet 2 and connect to cable going to outlet 3.
    Outlets 1, 3, 4, and 5 should then be working.

Then do a continuity check between the remaining black in outlet 1 and the remaining black in outlet 2. Then do the same for the white and then for the grounds. If you have continuity through any of the wires, the black, white or ground would confirm that you are working with then ends of the same cable.

I find it difficult to believe you have a broken wire. Almost impossible to have a broken cable unless you have run a saw through the wall.

Feb 8, 2014, 10:20 PM
    Yes, there is a door between outlet #1 and #2. I just attached a diagram. I hope it helps to give you a visual of what the room looks like.
    I did a voltage check on #1 and have already determined which wires are my hot ones coming in.

Feb 8, 2014, 10:27 PM
    I agree Harold, It is strange. I only replaced outlets in this room. I have not done any sawing, drilling or nailing into the walls in this room either.

Feb 8, 2014, 10:27 PM
    Can't see diagram. Click on Go Advanced (next to Post Quick answer), scroll down and click on Manage Attachments, browse and find file, Open and Upload. File has to be JPEG.

Feb 8, 2014, 10:30 PM
    It will all make sense when we find out what is wrong. Just have to keep narrowing it down. If you are certain about which is hot cable in outlet 1 and which cable in outlet 2 goes to outlet 3, do the continuity check to confirm the the remaining two ends are the same cable.

Feb 8, 2014, 10:31 PM
    Name:  wire diagram.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  39.3 KB

Feb 8, 2014, 10:47 PM
    Is that a bath between the two bedrooms?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical receptacle no power [ 3 Answers ]

So I'm currently not getting power at one electrical receptacle. At the switch for this receptacle gets some power because my tester dimly lights up. This is an older house, so no GFCI outlets or reset buttons. The only thing on this breaker that I'm aware of is this switch and the refrigerator. I...

Install receptacle and 2 light switches from existing receptacle [ 2 Answers ]

I have an outside reeptacle, need to add another receptacle and 2 light switches

"expanding" a receptacle with a power strip--what are the limitations? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to convert a utility room into a pantry/kitchen extension. The room has one standard double receptacle low down on the wall intended for plugging in a washing machine. I want receptacles at counter height for the new configuration. I would like to have at least 4 receptacles to plug in a...

Hpw do I change my 3 wire receptacle out to a 4 wire receptacle [ 1 Answers ]

I had bought a dryer with a 3 wire receptacle and I have a 4 wire receptacle on my outlet how do I change it to the right one so I can use it or is there a nother way

No power to 1 receptacle [ 10 Answers ]

I have a dual plug receptacle in my vanity next to the sink. It just stopped working, I used a tester and it says no power coming or going. All other switches and receptacles work fine. The non working receptacle has 2 blk/2wht/1 grd. What do I do now? Thanks

View more questions Search