Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 9, 2014, 12:05 AM
    No, only two wires connected to the switch. You should have two white wires connect together and two black wires connected to the switch. If that is correct, forget the switch loop thing. There would be only two wires in the closet light.
    Troy28 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2014, 12:09 AM
    I will have to double check tomorrow. That might be correct because I do remember on the light switch for the main light had all three white wires commented together and the three black wires connected to the switch.

Feb 9, 2014, 12:13 AM
    Double check everything and let me know. If everything you have told me is correct, the only thing left is a faulty black between outlet 1 and outlet two. Something that just doesn't make sense.

Good night

Feb 9, 2014, 01:56 PM
    Okay, I checked the both light switches and the white wires are tied together and the black wires are connected to the switch, just like you said. The faulty black wire is what I had narrowed it to but I just find it hard to believe that it would have broken at the same time I replaced the outlets. I keep thinking that I have missed something.

Feb 9, 2014, 02:15 PM
    I keep thinking that I have missed something.
    I agree but I don't know what. I'm kind of stumped. Suggest rechecking every thing. Make sure that the GFI in the bath has not tripped. I know you said it was on a different circuit, but suppose some one did something screwy like coming out of the GFI to outlets 2,3,4 and 5. Then when you were replacing the outlets you could have tripped the GFI and never have known.

Go back to the attic and make sure that the line from outlet 1 simply goes across the attic and down to outlet 2.

Feb 9, 2014, 03:01 PM
    I checked the bathroom and GFI not tripped, still have power. Checked the attic and line from outlet 1 comes up and crosses over to outlet 2.

Feb 9, 2014, 05:12 PM
    Nothing that linen closet is there?

Feb 9, 2014, 05:17 PM
    The linen closet does not have a light or anything in it.

Feb 9, 2014, 06:10 PM
    If I remember correctly, you said earlier that you had continuity between the two ends of the whites and the two ends of the ground wires in outlet 1 and outlet 2. That you did not have continuity between the blacks.

If the boxes are metal and have a cable clamp remove the cable clamp. Plastic boxes will not have the cable clamp.

Then pull real hard on the black wire. If it is broken, it should be broken near the box. If it is broken it should pull out.

Grasp the bare end of the wire with pliers, not the insulation.

Feb 9, 2014, 06:56 PM
    That is correct, no continuity between the black wires of outlet 1 and 2. The white and ground wires do have continuity.

The boxes are plastic.

I pulled on the black wire (the bare end) real hard at both outlet 1 and outlet 2 and it would not pull out.

Feb 9, 2014, 08:03 PM
    I am at a loss. At this point I think I would first connect the black, white and ground wires together in each box of the cable between outlet 1 and outlet 2 . Making sure that I had the right cable. Then go up in the attic and cut the cable at some convenient point. Do a continuity check between the black and white, between the black and ground, and between the white and ground on each half of the cable. Assuming that there is a break in the black, that should tell you which half of the cable it is in. Hopefully, if you have to replace any part of cable, it will not be the half that is under low potion of the roof.

Feb 9, 2014, 08:09 PM
    That is a good idea. And yeah, I agree. Hopefully the break will be in the first half that comes from outlet number 1.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical receptacle no power [ 3 Answers ]

So I'm currently not getting power at one electrical receptacle. At the switch for this receptacle gets some power because my tester dimly lights up. This is an older house, so no GFCI outlets or reset buttons. The only thing on this breaker that I'm aware of is this switch and the refrigerator. I...

Install receptacle and 2 light switches from existing receptacle [ 2 Answers ]

I have an outside reeptacle, need to add another receptacle and 2 light switches

"expanding" a receptacle with a power strip--what are the limitations? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to convert a utility room into a pantry/kitchen extension. The room has one standard double receptacle low down on the wall intended for plugging in a washing machine. I want receptacles at counter height for the new configuration. I would like to have at least 4 receptacles to plug in a...

Hpw do I change my 3 wire receptacle out to a 4 wire receptacle [ 1 Answers ]

I had bought a dryer with a 3 wire receptacle and I have a 4 wire receptacle on my outlet how do I change it to the right one so I can use it or is there a nother way

No power to 1 receptacle [ 10 Answers ]

I have a dual plug receptacle in my vanity next to the sink. It just stopped working, I used a tester and it says no power coming or going. All other switches and receptacles work fine. The non working receptacle has 2 blk/2wht/1 grd. What do I do now? Thanks

View more questions Search