Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srivatsann Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2014, 12:47 PM
    Penalty free IRA withdrawal for second but primary home
    Hi,

I am US resident for tax purposes and am younger than 59.5. I own a home in city A which has been rented out. I am paying mortgage for it.

I want to purchase a home in the city B, where I am working now. This will become our primary home.

I withdrew some money from my IRA in 2013 to pay for the home in city B. Is $10000 of my withdrawal eligible for "no penalty" since it was used for our future primary home. What proof should I produce to claim that when filing 2013 taxes?

Regards
    Srivatsan
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 7, 2014, 01:02 PM
    The key is WHEN did you buy the house in City A? If it was more than five years, then no problem with getting $10K from IRA with no penalty.

Less than five years requires in do some research for a proper answer.

Feb 12, 2014, 11:59 AM
    Hi AtlantaTaxExpert,

Thanks for the response. The construction of home in city A began in November 2010 and was completed and handed over to us in November 2011. It is not more than five years yet.

Regards,
    Srivatsan
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 12, 2014, 12:40 PM
    Then probably not. The IRS says you must be a NON-home owner for FIVE YEARS for the purchase to be considered a FIRST HOME BUYER.

Feb 17, 2014, 07:55 AM
    Thanks for your response ATE. I have one more query.

In 2012 March, I had contributed 5000 USD towards 2011 IRA. While filing 2011 taxes, I got to know that there is NO tax benefit of my contribution to IRA. So, in 2013 January, I withdrew that 5000 USD. My IRA custodian returned 5000 and indicated that $51 is taxable income. Should I file amended return for 2012 and report the $51 or should that be reported along with 2013 Federal return?

Thanks
    Srivatsan
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 17, 2014, 10:15 AM
    If you withdrew it in 2013, claim the $51 on your 2013 tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Filing Taxes & Penalty for IRA withdrawal [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently decided to get of frivolous credit card debt which is around $7,000. I decided to deduct the money from my IRA as I still have a good amount of money there and I have time to save more as I'm only 32 yo. I'm kicking myself :eek: for not thinking about doing this last month, so...

Exemptions on IRA withdrawal penalty [ 1 Answers ]

How can you get the 10 % penalty fee waived for early withdrwals:confused:

IRA early withdrawal penalty paid? [ 3 Answers ]

I am considering early withdraw of one of my trad. IRA's. I have the option of having the 10% penalty with-held or not, from the withdrawal. When is this federal 10% penalty due (at point of withdrawal or April '09) ? Thank You

10% Penalty on IRA Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

When I left my previous employer I rolled my 401k account into a rollover IRA. I made a withdrawal from the rollover IRA. I am over 55 and receive a retirement income from my previous employer. If this had been from the terminated 401k I would not have to pay the penalty but since it is from a...

IRA Early Withdrawal Timing for Penalty and Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

If I make an early withdrawal from my IRA, I know I will pay a 10% penalty and taxes on the money. WHEN do I pay these? Immediately? Immediately for the penalty and next April 15th for the taxes, or next April 15 for both? Thanks in advance. :confused:

View more questions Search