Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kyakerdog Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2014, 12:51 PM
    Galvanized pipe main water line
    My recently purchased house has what I think is a galvanized main water line entering into the basement. There is a very uniform bulge in the pipe before it reaches the main water shut off valve. I have two concerns. First, although the bulge appears to be too perfect to be due to freezing, I cannot figure out why the pipe would be intentionally larger for only about 2 inches. This is only about an inch from where it threads into the main shut off valve. Is this a concern?

My second question is how do I replace the main valve as it has a small hole in the side that is weeping water?

Thank you in advance for your help!
    Mike
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 6, 2014, 12:59 PM
    Show us a picture of the pipe and the valve. A galvanized pipe would not bulge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to stop water from coming out of the toilet main pipe line [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted to check to see if my toilet is leaking, the water company said I have a small leak inside the house somewhere, so I drained the toilet tank to replace the pump and things inside the tank, I took off the hose from underneath which attaches to the pipe from the wall,, I turn that valve off...

Water seeping up through ground pipe next to main line [ 6 Answers ]

Hello all. I have what looks like a 3/8 hollow copper rod coming up out of my basement floor next to my main water inlet pipe. It sticks up about 3 inches from the floor and is taped to my main line. The issue is that I all the sudden have water seeping up through this pipe for some reason. Ever...

How do install a main line cleanout in clay pipe? Pipe exposed, existing wye capped. [ 23 Answers ]

I would like to install a cleanout for my main drain line from my house to the city sewer system. There is no existing cleanout access for the main sewer drain line. House details: Huntington Beach, CA single-family tract house built 1960. Today I dug a hole to access the clay drain line. ...

How to repair rusted galvanized water pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I have a leaking waterline under ground and the pipe is very rusty and corroded. How can I repair this without digging up my entire yard and replacing all the pipe?

Unthreading Galvanized cold water pipe.how easy? [ 4 Answers ]

It has been suggested that a 50 year old Galvanized cold water pipe is easier to unthread than a hot water pipe. TRUE? :confused:

View more questions Search