Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tenaj99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2014, 08:57 AM
    No power - turn water off and turn off gas water heater?
    Power is out due to the snow so no heat in the house.
    Thinking about going to my brother's house for the weekend.
    Water heater is Gas.

Do I.. 1. leave my sinks dripping? Or 2. turn off main water supply and open all faucets?

If 2, do I have to turn off gas water heater and empty it?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 6, 2014, 10:48 AM
    Do I.. 1. leave my sinks dripping? Or 2. turn off main water supply and open all faucets?
    Depends on whether you have a faucet lower than the main shut off valve. If you have a faucet lower than the main shut off valve, close main and open all faucets so pipes can drain. Note that your lowest valve may be you water heater drain. If you use that to drain pipes, turn off gas to water heater.
    If you can drain all pipes with out draining water heater leave gas on.

Otherwise leave all faucet open with small stream. Leaving faucets open only works if temperature is only a few degrees below freezing. If it is 0 degrees out and you have no heat, the pipes are going to freeze even if they are running.

If you know how or can have someone turn off water at the street that would be better.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 6, 2014, 01:39 PM
    City water or well?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water in hot water heater won't heat. Cold water inlet won't turn off. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a gas water heater built in 2007. The cold water supply won't turn off. Flushed the unit, burner and pilot fine. Called company (AO Smith) and they said I have a leak somewhere. However, the water meter is not turning. My question is where is the water from the tank going? I do not see...

Can I turn off the hot water flow from my water heater? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a bad leak in my tub and its making my water heater stay on all day because its hot water leaking. My landlord is a procrastinator so I have to wait awhile for it to get fixed but its jacking up my gas bill so I need a fast solution. So basically I don't want to shut off the cold water, just...

Where is cold water turn off on Scout water heater [ 5 Answers ]

My Scout 40 gallon electric water heater needs replaced. I need to turn off the cold water valve so I can turn the main water line back on. Where is it located? It is just a temporary measure till tomorrow morning. Thank you

Plumbing question, Winter vacation, turn off the Gas water heater or not [ 1 Answers ]

Going on a two months vacation in Jan and Feb. Home in NJ, should I turn off the Gas Water Heater and drain it ore not?

Selling house: turn off water heater/water in winter [ 1 Answers ]

I am in mid-Michigan where winters can be long and cold. I am selling a house, which is vacant, and I am looking for advice on if I should drain the water pipes and turn off the gas water heater during the winter months. I would rather not pay high gas bills to heat water that I am not using. The...

View more questions Search