Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hockeybrian Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 06:34 AM
    Dryer ductwork
    I am currently installing a stacked washer/dryer in my 2nd story bathroom. The only option for me to vent the dryer is up into the ceiling and down through the soffet. Is there a problem with the dryer vent being vertical until it reaches the ceiling? Since it is a stacked dryer, the vertical distance should only be 2' max (I am not sure whether the duct opening is on the top or bottom of the dryer). Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    DD_Bob Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeybrian
    I am currently installing a stacked washer/dryer in my 2nd story bathroom. The only option for me to vent the dryer is up into the ceiling and down through the soffet. Is there a problem with the dryer vent being vertical until it reaches the ceiling? Since it is a stacked dryer, the vertical distance should only be 2' max (I am not sure wether the duct opening is on the top or bottom of the dryer). Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    I see no problem with the short (2') vertical run but... make sure you do not exceed the total allowable vent length (dyer specific)

Off the top of my head you are generally allowed something like 20 to 25' with a few 90 degree bends.

Keep the vent length as short as possible, minimize the 90's & do not use screws to assemble the vent tube... use aluminum tape (not duct tape)

I have some installs where the aluminum tape is over 20 years old & still fine. If the vent tube is new there might be a light coat of oil on it... remove oil & let dry before taping.

If you have to have a long vent run there are booster fans but they're expensive.

I have an install where the run is ~20' with two 90's... the dryer was taking about two hours to do a load of towels. I fished a nylon rope through the vent & secured a rag ball to it. Cleaned out about the equivalent of two wash cloths worth of lint... no the towels dry in less than an hours.

A clean & properly working vent is essential to good dryer performance.

Cheers
    Bob
    RalphS Posts: 120, Reputation: 12

Apr 7, 2007, 09:33 PM
    Bob is absolutely correct on all accounts. Back in the 70's we used 30 feet as the absolute max on dryer venting and subtracting 5 feet for every 90 degree elbow that was used. It's probably still about the same, and the dryer exaust comes out the bottom of the dryer.
    And what ever you do, try to use only 4" solid aluminum piping and NOT the flexible tubing if at all possible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flexible Ductwork [ 3 Answers ]

I have flexible ducting for my heat and air and my house is about 11 years old. All of the tees and branches from the main duct lines are connected by duct tape, which is now starting to give and come apart. There seems to be metal or aluminum tubes inside the duct at the connections, but the...

4 prong plug for dryer - new dryer installation [ 3 Answers ]

We are installing a new dryer with a 220 volt 4 prong plug, old dryer had only 3 prongs How is the house wiring attached to new receptacle? cgfryar

Mastic vs. Foil Tape for Galvanized Ductwork [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone have a recommendation for sealing galvanized ductwork? I've read that mastic is the best, but looks like it might be a bit of a mess. Tape seems easier, but I've read that most don't perform very well. Any thoughts? What about a specific brand of tape that is approved by most building...

Ductwork squeak [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have never asked a question on this forum before, so I apologize if I do not follow convention. About 3 days ago, I noticed a squeak coming from what appears to be my heating ductwork only when the furnace is on. The squeak seems to be about 1 second long and occurs approximately every...

View more questions Search