Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    julies9884 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2014, 02:37 PM
    Is it dangerous to hang curtains near radiator pipes
    Hi

I am hanging our first curtains up and they will be hanging over the radiator pipes - which get hot, Is this a fire hazard?
    Thanks
    Julie
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2014, 03:13 PM
    It will keep your room from getting warm...

I assume you have steam or hot water heat?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2014, 06:42 PM
    Over the entire radiator or just down to it?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 7, 2014, 11:50 AM
    Julie asked a pretty specific question,
    I am hanging our first curtains up and they will be hanging over the radiator pipes - which get hot, Is this a fire hazard?
    If we are talking about radiator PIPES only, say running through the fist floor through to a second floor radiator then there is no "fire hazard" by any means, but the curtain fabric will certainly dry up and probably discolor a bit over time (depending on the fabric and color).

If the curtain was to hang past a radiator under a window then I would suggest hemming the curtain so it hangs just above the top of the radiator (or tucks just behind the radiator), if possible. Covering a radiator would definitely be a problem to the overall heat balance in the room, but it would NOT be a fire hazard!

Good luck!

Mark
    joannelemke Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2014, 11:09 PM
    You may like to consider flame resistant roller blinds if it concerns you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Permanently removing a radiator; can I cap off flow and return feeds to radiator? [ 4 Answers ]

I am permanently removing a radiator and want to know if I can just cap off the flow and return feeds to the radiator or do I need to connect the two together to continue the flow of the system. I believe it's the last radiator in the system to warm up. There is just one 10mm microbore pipe...

Blockage in radiator pipes [ 1 Answers ]

I'm the super of a 93 unit apts and one of the apt the heat won't shut off we use a motorize valves in the apt connected to thermostate I just pput the motorized valve on its new but the hot water still flowing through the pipes.if something blocking it and keeping the valve from closing what can...

Banging radiator pipes [ 1 Answers ]

My oil burner/radiator pipes bang real loud... what causes that and how can it be fixed?

Pipes to water Radiator [ 3 Answers ]

I have two pipes running into a radiator that is used to heat my house. One pipe for the water To go in and the other pipe that lets the water out. How do I disconnect the pipes? Im not Sure if I plan on moving the meater to anothet location. Thank you for your help

Dangerous pipes? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I've read a bunch of question and replies but none seem to answer my question, so here goes: I have the banging in the pipes problem, and I was assured by friends/family that this is fine, it's just old pipes. (I rent a flat in an apartment building so it's not like I can fix it.) What I...

View more questions Search