Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmd19 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2014, 10:51 AM
    Left the USA part way through the year - best way to file a dual-status return?
    I entered the USA in 2010 as a J-1 scholar, with my wife who was a J-2 dependent, to work in Chicago, IL.

We left the USA to return to the UK (our home country) at the end of March, 2013. In 2012, I had reached resident status in the substantial presence test, and so filed the 1040 jointly with my wife as residents. We still meet the requirements for 2013, despite only being the in country for 3 months.

In 2013, only I worked in the USA, my wife did not, and I only worked for less than three months. After returning to the UK, I worked, but paid tax here to the UK (so obviously don't want to have to report that to the IRS).

So, after trawling through all the instructions, I've come up with this method to file:

I) Claim a closer connection to the UK by filling in form 8840
    ii) Fill in the 1040-NR (with "Dual-status return" written on top)
    iii) Fill in 1040 as my statement of income (without signing it)

Is this the best way to do it?

I assume I can't file jointly with my wife as a non-resident, so what does she need to file (considering she had no income in 2013)? Also, am I still able to claim any child tax credits as a non-resident (I'm assuming not, but my kids are US citizens, so maybe)?

Many thanks for your advice
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2014, 12:31 PM
    Actually, you CAN file jointly for 2013, but you must declare the U.K. income and file Form 1116 to claim the Foreign Tax Credit. I suspect that MAY be the best way to file tax-wise. It is certainly the easiest, because such a return CAN be filed electronically.

However, the dual-status return you suggest IS an alternative. You can claim your wife as a dependent on the dual-status return, as well as the children.

In either return, the Child Tax Credit IS allowed since the child is a U.S. citizen with a SSN.

Also, for either return, you must submit via mail a RESIDENCY TERMINATION STATEMENT to notify the IRS that you have left the country and do not intend to return anytime soon.

If you need professional help filing this return, email me at the email address in my profile.

Feb 5, 2014, 03:57 AM
    Thank you so much for your reply. One question about your suggestion of filing Form 1116 along with a joint return: Should I file as a resident or non-resident?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 5, 2014, 09:16 AM
    The return needs to be modeled BOTH ways to determine which was is best.

Most of the time, filing jointly as a resident is best, but NOT always.

Feb 5, 2014, 09:20 AM
    OK, thanks again!
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 5, 2014, 01:03 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Status - Married - How to file tax return? [ 1 Answers ]

I am an American Citizen who is married to a Canadian citizen. My wife (Canadian citizen) received her Green Card in December 2010 and legally migrated to the US in December 2010. All income she earned in 2010 was in Canada. I know since she received her lawful permanent resident status in 2010,...

Dual status - Married - How to file tax return? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello experts, I am very confused about how to file my taxes, this is my case: - Mexican citizen - I came to US on July 1st 2010 on TN Visa - Worked and paid taxes until June 2010 in Mexico - Got married on October 2010 My wife: - Mexican citizen

Should I file my tax return as a non-resident or dual status? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi; I worked in US on J-1 visa between July 2008 and July 20, 2010. Now I am back in my home country. I filed with Form 1040 NR for 2008 and 2009 tax returns. Could anyone give me some info on how I should file for 2010? Should I file as a non-resident or dual status? Is filing as dual...

Left USA : Dual status return? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi experts, I read Pub 519 and read posts on this forum on dual status vs Non-Residential(NR) return Still the issue confuses me. I worked in the US on H1B from oct 2006 till Oct end 2007 ( I was on F1 before that) and left for India permanently I have no US related income for my...

Left USA in 2006 - some dual status return questions [ 2 Answers ]

My income was simple - single employer while I lived there, and then I cashed out a small deferred-compensation account after I left. So, I am trying to do this return on my own to save some money, since I don't have itemized deductions. 1. I still have not received my Form 1042-S from the...

View more questions Search