Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tyrone99 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2014, 07:49 AM
    Connecting Direct TV to DVD/VCR Combo and DVD Recorder
    I use to have a my system set up until family members unplugged everything from my systems. Now I don't remember how I set it up. I had my direct TV hooked up to my dvd recorder and dvd/vcr combo to record movies. I have a sima godvd CT-200 to record dvd movies. I have the red, white, yellow composite cable but I don't remember where to insert the cables. Please help
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 4, 2014, 09:29 AM
    Input/Output cables are color coded. So you should be running cables OUT from your satellite receiver into IN jacks on your recorder. Then from the record to your TV.

Feb 4, 2014, 11:06 AM
    Scottgem I tried everything to connect all three devices and they won't work correctly. Tried putting in the cabled in different ways and just a plain fail. I need to get back recording my dvd's and recording show. I wish I had a step by step of connecting my LCD TV, Direct TV, DVD recorder and DVD/VCR Combo.

Feb 4, 2014, 11:22 AM
    The only thing I can tell you without seeing the backs of each device is that you have to match the output of one device to the input of another device.

Logically, for the Recorder to record output from the Direct TV, the recorder's input must come from the DTV's output. If the Recorder has multiple inputs, then there must be a way to select what input to use. For the TV to see what the Recorder is playing, you have to match the Recorder's output to the TVs input. Again multiple inputs means there exists a way to select inputs.

Feb 5, 2014, 04:48 PM
    [attach]45609[/attAttachment 45609ach]

ScottGem

Here are the attachment of photo of my Cable Box DVD/VCR Combo and DVD Recorder and the side and back of my TV

Attachment 45611 Direct TV, DVD/VCR Combo DVD Recorder

Attachment 45610 Side Of my TV Video 2 IN

Attachment 45612 Diagram back of my TV

Attachment 45613 Colorstream HD 1 & 2 IN Audio Out Variable Video 1 IN

I hope you can tell me how to hook up my devices so I can record again.

Feb 6, 2014, 02:39 AM
    Here are the attachment of photo of my Cable Box DVD/VCR Combo and DVD Recorder and the side and back of my TV

Attachment 45614Direct TV, DVD/VCR Combo DVD Recorder
    Attachment 45615Side Of my TV Video 2 IN
    Attachment 45616Diagram back of my TV
    Attachment 45617Colorstream HD 1 & 2 IN Audio Out Variable Video 1 IN

Feb 6, 2014, 05:41 AM
    I'm not sure what you are doing, but you are not attaching properly. There should be a Manage Attachments button when you press Reply. If there isn't hit the Go Advanced button and you will see it. Use that to add attachments.

Feb 6, 2014, 06:53 AM
    I tried that I didn't see it

Feb 6, 2014, 06:56 AM

1. Direct TV, DVD/VCR Combo DVD Recorder
    2. Side Of my TV Video 2 IN

3. Diagram back of my TV

4. Colorstream HD 1 & 2 IN Audio Out Variable Video 1 IN

Attached Images

Feb 6, 2014, 07:33 AM
    The bottom picture shows component video on the left(green/blue/red) Then Composite (White/red), The yellow is composite audio and the plug below that is S/Video. This seems to match the diagram int the top picture.

The third picture is the key. This shows the DirectTV box (on top) the Toshiba and Panasonic Recorders below. I can't see which is Out and In though. The DirectTV box seems to only have Composite and SVideo out. Can the TV switch between multiple inputs? Looks like you can have 2 Component inputs. But does the recorders both have Component out?

Feb 6, 2014, 08:18 AM
    The Direct TV Box has two OUT and they are called OUT 1 and OUT 2

Toshiba has- DVD/VCR IN and VCR OUT

Panasonic has OUT and two IN 1 & IN 3

Where should I connect the red, yellow and white cable to the TV Video 1 or Video 2

I hope you can show me how to connect the cables correctly

Thanks

Feb 6, 2014, 10:09 AM
    You didn't answer whether your TV allows you to select from multiple Inputs. You need to go Out to IN for each connection. You need to match the Out connection to a compatible In. The color coding helps you do that.

Feb 6, 2014, 10:49 AM
    Yes my TV allows me to from TV Video 1 Video 2 and so on

Feb 6, 2014, 10:58 AM
    Both the Toshiba and the Panasonic have one set of component jacks. I can't tell however, whether they are in or out. If they are out, then I would have one go to Video 1 and the other to Video 2. I would only hook the Out from the Direct TV box to one device. You don't need to record to two different devices. Then if you want to watch Direct TV, you set the TV to that Input. If you want to watch a disk playing on the other device you switch to that one.

Feb 6, 2014, 11:11 AM
    Toshiba has- component jacks DVD/VCR IN and VCR OUT

Panasonic has component jacks OUT on the left and two component jacks on the right for IN 1 & IN 3
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 6, 2014, 11:36 AM
    Hook up one thing at a time and make sure it works. You did it before, you will do it again.

Feb 6, 2014, 11:43 AM
    I tried everything I could and its like I am lost. I take the cable out one component jack and put in another. Some time DVD/VCR works and DVD recorder not working and I do the other way around DVD recorder works and DVD/VCR works don't work. I wish I had diagram showing where these cables should go. This is driving me crazy.

Feb 6, 2014, 11:46 AM
    talaniman

Did you see the attachment pictures I have on here. Showing the back of my devices. Should I use the Video 1 or video 2 on my flat screen TV.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 6, 2014, 12:08 PM
    Go with one and see how that works. Each one represents a different device on your source and mode setting of your remote. Assuming all are on a cable universal remote. I go through the same thing when I move or replace any device or box.

It really doesn't matter which video plug you use, because they are all controlled from the source/mode buttons on the remote. What matters is the color codes on the back matches.

Feb 6, 2014, 12:12 PM
    I have this diagram is just like mine but I have DVD/VCR combo and I am trying figure out where to place the cables.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I hook up a DVD Recorder/VCR Combo to my TV. [ 6 Answers ]

I have just purchased a DVD Recorder/VCR Combo in order to copy my old VCR tapes to DVD. I have my TV hooked up to Dish Network. I have tried all day to hook up my new recorder to my TV with no luck. Is there any way of just hooking it up to my TV and not going through my Dish Network at all? I am...

How do you hook up a DVD-VCR Recorder Combo to a 46 inch Sharp T.V. [ 2 Answers ]

I want to hook up a HDMI cable and maybe a components cord (red,green,and blue) To the back of the unit and the back of the SharpT.V. My main reason is to transfer vcr Tapes to dvd but this unit is also capable of other things, like taping fron T.V. to a dvd. I just want to get it hook up right....

Searching for reliable DVD recorder/VCR combo unit. [ 2 Answers ]

Would appreciate any recommendations for a good, reliable, easy-to-use DVD recorder/VCR combo unit. I had an RCA DCR8335, but it has lost its mind. VCR motor runs while the unit is off, locks up, not easy to program recordings. Also had bad experience with a Sanyo DVD player--no longer turns...

DVD/VCR recorder combo units [ 1 Answers ]

Hello anyone, I am looking to buy a combo unit as described above. I have looked in stores and on line. I am confused by the information about analog vs digital output. What do I need to look for when buying a unit so it will work when the TV stations do away with analog. I want to buy a unit...

VCR/DVD Combo, DVD Recorder hookup to Satellite TV [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to hookup a VCR/DVD combo and a DVD Recorder to my TV. I have satellite TV, but the satellite receiver is not connected to the same TV. I have read and reread all four books and can not figure it out. I want to be able to record from the television to both the VCR and the DVD...

View more questions Search