Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joshfella Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Feb 4, 2014, 01:38 AM
    FICA not withheld
    I only had 7 months working with my employer in internship, I did not see they withheld any FICA taxes in W-2 for the last year (I don't remember if I sign W-9 or W-8BEN with them when I start because the HR had a copy of my new passport but did not ask how many years I was in the US at all, and I did not realize how tax works with the residency matter then).

So I think it could be their mistake about the FICA on my case and send them an email after Jan 31st (I only learned more about all of these by now), I did not file for any tax return for 2013 yet. I don't know how it will turn out, but since they are going to be my future employer and if they insist me to pay on my portion, I think I may compromise (about $2000 or so) to stay on the good term with them. But problem is I'm still a student and have no extra $2000 (or even until my first pay check) to pay for this yet and I need my future job. When I did a draft return on Turbotax without the FICA taxes, it said I got $3000 or so (included American Opportunity Credit) in return.

Any advise for my case? If I agree to pay for my FICA portion, can it be deducted from the $3000 return I may get?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2014, 10:09 AM
    Are you an international student? If so, what is your visa status?
    joshfella Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Feb 4, 2014, 10:13 AM
    Hi AtlantaTaxExpert,I'm in my F-1 for more than 5 years now.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2014, 12:27 PM
    Josh,

It is the responsibility of the employer to clarify your visa status, so the IRS will NOT hold you responsible for the error that occurred here.

That said, you DO have a moral and ethical responsibility to pay YOUR share of the FICA taxes that were not withheld.

However, it is likely the employer will NOT pursue this and hope the IRS does NOT notice that FICA taxes were not withheld. If that happens, you have done what YOU were required to do by informing them of the error, so the IRS will NOT come after you. It bis the employer that is "on the hook" if they do not correct the withholding error with the IRS.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1-b fica not withheld - what are my options [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have been working in the us since 02/08/2008 I was on OPT from 02/08/2008 to 10/01/2008 I am on h1-b since then My employer did not withheld FICA on my paycheck since 10/01/2008 What are my options? Do I owe the money to IRS or my employer? Can I find an agreement with my employer...

FICA withheld not paid by employer [ 1 Answers ]

My recently found out that my ex-employer withheld FICA from all my checks along with everybody else's but never sent the money to SS, what are we supposed to do?

FICA tax not withheld [ 1 Answers ]

I'm on H1B visa since March 1st 2007. My employer didn't deduct FICA till now. I am not aware of these taxes before. I asked them about it today. They said that they'll deduct from March 1st onwards. On the day of joining itself, I've given them details about my visa status and filled w4. Will...

F1/OPT Resident, FICA not withheld [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have been working under F1/OPT since Oct 2006. I have stayed here long enough and thus considered resident for taxing purposes. 1. However, my current employer, by policy, doesn’t withhold FICA (social security taxes) from F1 employees. So on my W-2, the social security tax box is...

FICA not withheld on H1B! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Thanks in advance for your great service! My situation is as follows: I converted from OPT (F1) to H1B in January 2006. My employer filed for a FICA refund for my OPT period. However, they forgot to activate FICA on my H1B. We just realized it today and they're now in the process...

View more questions Search