Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imadthegreat Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2014, 11:16 PM
    Selling Company Incentive Stocks
    Hi

Last year I exercised company stock options. A month later my company was sold so all my shares were sold. Assume that my exercise price was "X" and my selling price was "Y". If I was paid out my profits like in simple "Y-X" then I would have just reported that easily. However, some amount out of Y was held in an indemnification escrow fund and will be released in 01/2015. Assume that amount is Z. So what I really received is Y - Z. My question is what sale price and hence profit should I be reporting. Is it Y-Z-X as that is the amount I received or just Y-X.

Y-X should make my calculations easy but will increase my tax bill as its all going to be short term gain. And I am also earning some interest on that escrow fund on which I will have to pay taxes later. I am a little confused on what's the right/best approach is to handle this.

Thanks
    Imad
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2014, 11:27 PM
    Imad,

The part of the "Y" that is being held in escrow is in fact NOT being sold and does NOT, in my opinion, have to be reported.

When it is released in 2015, you then report that part in the 2015 tax return. That portion should also be considered a long-term gain.
    imadthegreat Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2014, 10:31 PM
    Thanks a lot. So that makes sense and I was hoping that this would be the answer. Here is how the company gave me details on "letter of transmittal".

Participating closing amount per share: 3.2
    Participating escrow amount per share: 0.64
    Participating expense amount per share: 0.002

Based on above, I should assume that per share price is $3.84. Is that correct?

If yes, then for simplicity assume I had 100 shares. For 100 shares total price would be close to $384. But Let's say I received $300. Based on above price assumptions, should I report total number of shares sold to be 300/3.84=78 approximately? And then I will report other 22 shares in 2015 in my long term gains.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 9, 2014, 12:31 AM
    Your method of splitting the shares between 2013 and 2o15 would be acceptable to the IRS.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Feb 11, 2014, 11:18 AM
    This is an installment sale. See Form 6252 and its instructions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selling stocks to pay off mortgage [ 2 Answers ]

We want to pay our home mortgage off by selling some stocks we have held for a long time. We owe 190k on the mortgage. Our regular income is only 20k this year. How much will selling this stock affect us tax wise? We understand we have to pay a 15% capital gains tax on the "gain" from the sale....

Can you make a living off trading/selling stocks [ 2 Answers ]

Will I be able to make money by buying stockes... if so what company or stocks should I invest in

NJ Nonresidence filing: Net gain from selling stocks [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about my NJ non-residence tax return filing. I am a residence of Virginia and worked from Jan - Nov 2011. Then I worked in NJ for the month of December (was a residence for less than 30 days there since I commute on the weekend). I sold some stocks in around May of 2011...

Tax on Sign-on Incentive and Relocation Incentive [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I got a job offer in Phoenix, Arizona, with a sign-on 'Incentive' of $30,000 and a relocation Incentive of $3,000 for. 1. What will be percentage of tax on these two kinds of incentives? And how much can I expect after taxes? 2. What if I break the contract? Do I need to even pay the...

View more questions Search