Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    petersoncctx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2014, 12:27 PM
    Inherited mom's house, sister and I
    If inherited mom's house , sister and I, I think I put it on form 8948, do I put under description (a) inherited, (b) date she died, (c) date sold house, (d) do I put my part of the proceeds sale price say $22,750.00, (e) do I put my part of the cost basis say $30,000.0, on (f) L and (g) put the loss as a positive number $7250.00, and (g) 0, and then do I go to Schedule D and put this info, on d and e do I put on their my part received a 1099 S
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 3, 2014, 01:37 PM
    Have you received a form 1099-S, and if so - did both you and your sister each receive one that shows half the proceeds? If so, then use Form 8949 (not 8948) to document the sale. You report only your portion of the proceeds and cost basis. The description (column A) would be the property address. Your basis is 1/2 the fair market value of the property as of the date of your mother's death. The totals from Form 8949 get transferred onto Schedule D, and from their as capital gains to Form 1040.
    petersoncctx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2014, 06:07 AM
    It has on the form 1099-s gross proceeds $45,500.00 and the allocation of gross proceeds $22,750.00, so on the form 8949, on (d) do I put as proceeds (sales price) $22,750.00, it doesn't have the cost basis on the From 1099-S, but the cost basis is $60,000.00 and my half would be $30,000.00, so do I put on the Form 8949 on (e) cost or other basis do I put $30,000.00 and on (g) do I put the difference of gross proceeds from cost basis or do I leave (g) blank? Or do I put the difference on (g) would I put it as -$7250.00 and on (h) do I put 0
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 5, 2014, 07:10 AM
    List your portion of the proceeds in (d) (not the full sale price) less any costs that you incurred in selling it, such as sales commission, and your cost basis is $30K. Since you are not allowed to report a loss on the sale of personal property, you put the loss as a positive number in (g) and $0 in column (h). Enter code "L" in column (f). This assumes that the house is not a rental property.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to kick sister out of mom's house [ 4 Answers ]

My sister has been living in my mother's home in CA (rent free) for about 3 years. During that time my mother was living with her boyfriend in another county. Recently, my mother started having health problems. I flew into CA last week (from TX) to help her and moved her back into her home and...

We inherited a house and he won't buy me out or sell the house what are my options? [ 5 Answers ]

My brother and I inherited a house. Hes been living in the house for 9 years he trashed the house to where I couldn't live there, I moved bought my own home and now I want my half before he burns the house down or someone gets attacked by his pitbulls, I know he hasn't paid the insurance yet and I...

Can my sister stop me from coming to our inherited house [ 1 Answers ]

Can my sister stop me from coming to our inherited house

Known as grandma to be mom, and real mom to be sister! [ 2 Answers ]

So I'm 12 years old and last summer the "secret" came out. The whole Summer of 08 sucked "butt" every signal day my "mom" and "sister" fought. Now there fighting for mine and my other sister's love I still call my "grandma" mom just not around my "real" "mom". Its sooooo weird to be around them at...

Buy sister's share of inherited property? [ 5 Answers ]

Sister and I inherited property from Dad in 2003. I am buying her half now in 2009. I offered her 1/2 the market value at the time of inheritance, not 1/2 of today's market value, the latter being twice as much. She disagrees with that strategy. It should be noted she has not paid her share of...

View more questions Search