Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gdebeneditto Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2014, 10:29 AM
    I won a judgment against someone in Texas, can I levy their account
    I won a judjement in Texas against someone.. can I levy their bank account? And if so, how many months back can they go to if the debtor tried to close or change the account in order to avoid the levy? I know in bankruptcy, if you try to change names of ownership or bank accounts, the court can go back to anything you changed in the last 6 months and is considered fraud or "hiding" assets in order to avoid legal obligbations to creditors... which is against the law.. furthermore, can I put a lien against someone's real estate after winning a judgement against them in the state of Texas
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 3, 2014, 11:26 AM
    It depends on what the judgment was for. If you know where they bank, you can get the court to issue a writ of execution to seize the balance in their account at the time the writ is served. You may be able to get a writ to include future deposits.

Depending on the nature of the judgement you may be able to file a lien against his home, but that would be secondary to any mortgage he has and have to wait until he sells the property.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 14, 2014, 02:37 PM
    how many months back can they go to if the debtor tried to close or change the account
    It doesn't work that way. A writ of execution gives you only the amount that is in the account at the time of the levy.

Bankruptcy doesn't either, by-the-way. If a bankruptcy debtor gave away property to relatives and friends shortly before the bankruptcy filing, the trustee or creditors can try to recover this from whom it was given to, but it's not automatic. If funds were paid from the account, previous to the levy, to such insiders, you could perhaps sue them to recover the funds. But that is beyond the scope of an execution levy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I file a bank levy in Texas (judgment on oral contract for services rendered) [ 1 Answers ]

My company has a judgment for services rendered on an oral contract. The debtor is ignoring us. The court has informed me that we need an attorney to do this. How do I file for a bank levy to collect this debt and what are the fees?

How do I find a bank account to levy on a debtor I have a judgment on? [ 23 Answers ]

I have a judgment on a debtor, I want to find the bank they do business at. What do I need to put in a letter to the banks, a "blind Levy letter" in order to find out if they do business there?

Levy on bank account after making payments on judgment [ 4 Answers ]

We had a lawsuit against our landlord in late January resulting in a judgment against us. We have made payments to the landlord since the judgment for two months now and sent payment as recently as last week and have receipt. I tried to use my account yesterday and all 3 accounts (personal,...

Can they levy a corporate account if the judgment is personal [ 1 Answers ]

They levied my personal bank account. It is a credit card judgment, can they also levy my corporate account? Logic dictates that they can not because it is a separate entity. We all know that logic is for idiots so that's why I am inquiring. Thank you.

Judgment & Bank Account Levy [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My bank account has been frozen by a collection agency/lawfirm that received a default judgment for $2,700. The original debt will be 10 years old this October. I will be going over to the Civil court and file a "Motion to vacate judgment" on the grounds I never received the court...

View more questions Search