Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    annecharlotte19 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2014, 08:06 AM
    California Taxes
    I am currently working under a F1 OPT visa. I noticed that one employer deducted state taxes last year as opposed to the other that deducted local taxes. What is the difference. Do I owe both and what form is used to calculate state/local taxes in CALIFORNIA?
    Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2014, 09:37 AM
    You will have to pay BOTH.

If you work in California, the state has the right to tax your income.

If you work in a specific county or city that has an income tax, that county or city also has the right to tax what you earned in that county or city.
    annecharlotte19 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2014, 10:01 AM
    Why would one employer only deduct state taxes and one only deduct local taxes - both are in the same city?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2014, 10:22 AM
    Contact the employer who deducts only local taxes and ask WHY his did not deduct state taxes.

I suspect you will find that the W-2 is in error, and he will need to cut a new one showing the local taxes as being in fact STATE taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

California Income Taxes [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and kids live in California and she works there, I live in California about 100 days a year and Nevada and overseas for the rest of the year. None of my income is derived from activity in California , do I pay tax on my income?

Inheritance taxes California [ 1 Answers ]

My sister inherited half of our dad union pension. He died in WI. April, 2008. Her share is 1,411.00 per month for 30 months. My sister lives in California, what would be the state, federal tax, death or pick up tax or any other taxes that she would have to pay? My dad final tax return was done in...

Is there inheritance taxes in California [ 2 Answers ]

I received an inheritance(cash)from my ex-mother-in-law who lived in Texas.I reside in California.Are there inheritance taxes I'll need to pay?

Inheritance taxes for California [ 2 Answers ]

My brother died in Jan. of this year. I am the only living relative and trying hard to understand this process. The only asset is a house, and it will be sold. Are there any type of taxes I should be aware of and should pay up front ? Also I just learned I have to file final tax returns for him...

California inheritance taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I am to inherit property in California and want to know what kind of taxes, at what rate I can expect to pay. Thanks

View more questions Search