Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Feb 3, 2014, 07:57 AM
    When do you need to pay estimated taxes?
    If I sell a stock in Feb. 2014 do I need to file an estimated tax in the first quarter? Does it make a difference as to the amount? Speaking of the capital gains amount.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 3, 2014, 08:05 AM
    Depends on the amount of tax the capital gain will generate, and the amount of taxes you are having withheld from your pay check. The basic rule is if withholding accounts for at least 90% of your total tax bill there is no requirement to file estimated taxes each quarter. Also if withholding is equal to at least as much as your total tax bill for 2013 you don't need to so estimated taxes. But even if you meet one of these exceptions, it may still be a good idea to file and pay estimated taxes when you realize the gain, to avoid having to come up with cash to pay off a big tax bill a year from now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I pay taxes on back pay I just was awarded ssdi and will receive over 40,000.00 [ 2 Answers ]

I just received a favorable decision on my application for ssdi title 11 according to ssa I will receive over 40,000.00 I am single with no other income will I be exspected to pay taxes on it 0

Schaff brothers co piano est 1903 to 1913 in ex condition, all keys work, est value [ 0 Answers ]

The last time I had it tuned, 15 years ago, tuner said ext 1903 to 1913, excellent condition, not original ivories, but all keys work and are not cracked, serial number I thin is 28490 Can send picture

I settle an account but they say from 3,390 I did not pay I have to pay taxes how muc [ 2 Answers ]

I owe to Bank of america the amunt $ 2,415.89 I settle the account for 700 abut 20 cents for a dollar, but they told me I will receive a 1099 form as an income. My question is how much I have to pay to IRS?

I pay $1 for LTD premiums after taxes and employer pays rest. Is my LTD pay taxable [ 1 Answers ]

I pay $ 1 for LTD premiums after taxes. My employer pays rest of premium for LTD for me. Will my LTD checks be taxable now that I've just been granted full disability?

Do you have to pay child support if paternity is not est yet [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend sleep with a girl when he went to miami Florida she got pregnant and is now saying the baby is his. Although he has never taken a paternity test the state of Florida has took a order of child support out against him with no establishment of paternity. Can they do that?

View more questions Search