Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rob Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2005, 02:08 AM
    Firewall Subscription?
    I got McAfee Firewall about a year back when I got DSL. Is there any good reason to keep paying for a "subscrption" for very infrequent online updates, or is what I have probably good enough? Thanks in advance.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2005, 05:42 AM
    I see no reason to pay for updates. I use to use ZoneAlarm free edition that gave free updates but now I have a router with firewall services.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 17, 2005, 07:07 AM
    McAfee's asking for a subscription for firewall? Did you just get the firewall or a security suite. If its just the firewall, no way you should pay a subscription, especially when good ones like Zone Alarm are available for free. However, itf it's the suite, then the sub is for a/v updates and the like.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Feb 17, 2005, 07:22 AM
    McAfee
    Yep guys,McAfee Firewall on it's own will set you back a cool $34.95! For a one year subscription.

Use Zone Alarm as Scott suggests.I've used it for years without any problems.

All the best,
    Nez.

Feb 18, 2005, 02:30 AM
    Thanks. Would it be Ok if I stopped the updates and just kept the McAfee Firewall as is?
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2005, 05:35 AM
    Well it would work fine but if somebody finds a flaw in the software and you don't update, then you're computer is at risk. Like everyone is saying, download a free version or pay for a firewall where you only pay a one off fee.

On a side note, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the firewall? With Norton Antivirus 2004, you can just reinstall and it gives you another year. Is that the same with the firewall or have they fixed this now?

Feb 18, 2005, 07:51 AM
    I'm not sure about Norton. For McAfee VS & FW you can reinstall so long as the subscription is active, but I don't see how doing so will extend the update period. As far as I know, when you stop paying you're left with the product as it was when last installed.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 18, 2005, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LTheobald
    On a side note, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the firewall? With Norton Antivirus 2004, you can just reinstall and it gives you another year.
    Whether Norton has fixed this or not, it would seem to me to be unethical to try to get around the subscription renewal, by reinstalling. I don't think we should be promoting unethical acts.

Scott<>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Firewall gav/ips tz 170 unr [ 2 Answers ]

Hi There, I just want to ask that in our office they are going to put a firewall "gav/ips tz 170 unr" & "sonic wall 150" Will you please tell that, They can stop our Browsing or Yahoo, Msn Messengers? If yes then how I can get access over that. Thank & Regards

Best Firewall and AntiVirus Apps [ 20 Answers ]

I've used Norton Internet Security for many years. No virus, worm, trojan, etc. has ever made it to my PC. My subscription is up and I want to look at other options. Of course the priority is reliability, but nearly equally important is that it must not be resource intensive. 1. What...

VPN? Managed firewall? [ 7 Answers ]

If a customer wants a VPN device, what exactly (in laymans terms please) is that? I have looked it up on the web but am not getting the whole jist of what it exactly is? :confused: Also they want us to manage their firewall. Can you explain this also. SOrry, just beginning to learn what this...

Firewall/antivirus [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if they like or dislike the EZ Armor Security Software that comes with roadrunner? I have been trying to look at reviews but can't find any. Also, can anyone tell what they think of Trend Micro's firewall protection. I currently have this for my virus protection but wasn't...

Remote Conifiguration of Firewall [ 1 Answers ]

How do I remotely configure a firewall!?

View more questions Search