Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dino58 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2014, 10:17 AM
    Social Security Disability
    I am on Social Security Disability, last year I tried to work part time and made $1,200. How do I file my income? What form do I use? Do I just file the part time money that I made which is ($1,200) or do I file both what I made on SSD and part time work?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 1, 2014, 10:48 AM
    My wife's SSI is non-reportable, according to my accountant. Your State Laws may be different. We have a Tax Expert but they may not be online until Monday. You have some time, and you may wish to discuss it with your case manager before filing as well.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 1, 2014, 10:59 AM
    The work income is reportable, and it is to your advantage to file, not only for a tax refund, but also for the EIC (earned income credit), which will give you even more refund.
    I think you use 1040A - you can always use a regular 1040 in any case.
    You enter the SSD on the line just for SS, but won't hit the max most likely, so you don't add it to the income from working.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 1, 2014, 02:17 PM
    Dino58,

I strongly recommend you get professional help, as reporting such income CAN be tricky. It depends on whether you got the money via Form 1099-MISC or W-2, and HOW the Form 10o99-MISC is completed matters.

You can email me at the email in my profile for detailed analysis if you wish.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

VA Disability am I elligible for Social Security Disability [ 1 Answers ]

VA Disability has shown 100% medical disability am I also eligible to collect Social Security Disability at the same time?

Can my social security disability payments from Social Security can be garnished [ 5 Answers ]

I am on Social Security Disability. I was just served a small claims request and I wonder if they can garnish my social security benefits?

Social Security disability,unemployment and social security [ 2 Answers ]

I got approved for ssdi but got disapproved for ssi because my unemployment can I later get ssi after my unemployment is finished?:(

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

View more questions Search