Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    annecharlotte19 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2014, 05:42 PM
    H1N versus OPT
    I will be graduating with a masters in the spring of 2014. I have full time employment starting after Labour Day 2014. I am trying to decide whether to use up OPT at the beginning or whether get my prospective employer to petition for an H1N visa this April 2014.

What things should I consider? For example... I am wondering about the following and other matters I may not have thought of...

What income taxes will be saved if I opt for OPT = I am a Canadian resident.

If I want to work for my university AND for my prospective employer long term, can I do so with an H1N visa? I think I can with OPT, as long as my OPT is not used up?

I will graduate in May 2014. Can I go home to Canada post graduation? Does it depend on whether I will be working under OPT or H1N? I have read I cannot return home while H1N is pending? When is an H1N not pending - i.e. is that on Oct 1 or after the H1N has been approved?

Thanks so much for any input.!
    Very confusing stuff. I have used some OPT but not all and I am graduating in a STEM area.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2014, 06:26 PM
    ANY work visa (H-1, H-1B, H-1N, L-1) requires you to work for ONE and only ONE employer.

I cannot answer whether you can return to Canada while waiting for the H-1N; that's a question for an immigration attorney.

If you stay on OPT, you are EXEMPT from FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes for as long as your F-1 status is under five years.

Feb 1, 2014, 06:47 PM
    Fica and opt
    How long can I be exempt from FICA? I am graduating with my masters in Spring 2014. I started my bachelors in Fall 2009, graduated in Spring 2009. I believe I can be on OPT for 29 months, effective Spring 2009? I am in STEM.
    I have already used OPT for my Bachelors. I read something about an exemption from FICA for OPT AS LONG AS THE TIME IS 5 YEARS OR LESS. What counts in terms of the 5 years? Do I count from FALL 2019 or from SPRING 2014 or some other date?
    Thanks,
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 1, 2014, 07:06 PM
    Your questions have been merged into one thread. Please stop asking the same question over and over again.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2014, 07:52 AM
    Your exemption from FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes ended on 31 December 2013, because 2009 counts as a full year.

Make sure your employer is aware of this fact when you start OPT.

Feb 3, 2014, 08:03 AM
    TAXES under OPT (post FICA exemption) versus under H1N visa
    Hello
    Can anyone comment on the tax rate on taxes under OPT (after the 5 year limit for FICA is used up) ant taxes under H1B. Are they higher once a green card is optained. I am currently a Canadian resident.
    Should I defer an H1N visa on this basis?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2014, 09:36 AM
    It is the same either way.

The non-discrimination clause that is standard for all tax treaties dictates that non-resident aliens be taxed at the same rate as U.S. citizens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concern about married filing separately versus jointly versus filing as Single [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I came to the US currently on the F1 student visa but currently working on the F1-OPT status. In 2011 I got married and my wife is still in India - which has created a confusion regarding filing taxes. As per 1040EZ instructions (pg 6) I know I can file 'Married filing Jointly' but since my...

F1-OPT married to US Citizen (Now H1B), Tax exempt during OPT Period? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am a foreigner and just got married to US Citizen this year in August. I have tax questions to ask. Here is my situation. - Start working in Feb 08 as F1-OPT Status until Sept 08. H1B effective on Oct 1st, 2008. - I got married to US Citizen in Aug 08, I am applying for Green Card...

Can Opt Student work as 1099 being on OPT Extension ? [ 2 Answers ]

HI to all GURUS, I came to US for my master in Computer science in 2006 in NJIT, I graduated on 20 th dec 2007 , So I got my OPT in Jan 2008, I applied for my H1 but didn't got it!! So then I applied for my OPT extension (17 month extension) which starts from jan 2009 for 17 months. I know...

Reentering US with OPT from working abroad while OPT is pending [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, My OPT is currently pending, my company gave me an option to work abroad until the OPT is approved. If I do work abroad while my OPT is pending, can I be guaranteed re-entry to US when my OPT is approved? Thanks!

Wife on OPT. Have not received a W2 for the opt work. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My wife was a student till July of 2007 when she graduated. She was on F1 till then. She got a W2 for her work here from the university as a research assistant. She got a training position on her OPT. She was paid for the months of November and December. However, the OPT employer did...

View more questions Search