Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WVUgeordie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2014, 12:59 PM
    F-1 Visa holder in USA since 2008 on F-1. Resident or non-resident for tax purposes?
    I have been at the same institution in the USA on an F-1 visa since August 2008. I am single with no dependents. I am from the United Kingdom. I have filed the 1040-NR EZ for my federal return in the years 2008 through 2012, using university provided software. In 2013 I was in the USA for over 11 months of the year. I understand that after 5 years in the USA I am entitled to file as a resident rather than non-resident, therefore the question I have is

a) Should I file a 1040 rather than a 1040-NR for my federal tax return for 2013,

And subsequently,

b) Can I just do this using one of the many free filing options (eg TurboTax, TaxHawk etc.)

Thank you in advance
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2014, 02:46 PM
    I assume you returned to the United Kingdom before the end of 2013. If so, you CAN file as a resident, and use the on-line tax software you cited.

However, you MUST claim ALL world-wide income earned in 2013.

Further, you must submit a Residency Termination Statement in which you will use the default termination date of 31 December 2013.

Otherwise, you will have to file a dual-status return.

If you need professional to file or to prepare the Residency Termination Statement, email me at the email address in my profile.
    WVUgeordie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2014, 02:58 PM
    Thank you. Two points to clarify if you may. I remain in the USA with the same status (F-1). I earned no other worldwide income in 2013. Does your above answer still stand? Thank you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2014, 07:19 PM
    If you remained in the United States for ALL of 2013 while on F-1, you can file as a resident with NO NEED for the Residency Termination Statement.

No other world-wide income means you report ONLY your U.S.-sourced income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non resident or resident alien for tax purposes? [ 3 Answers ]

I came to the us in sep 2004 as au pair for 2 years. I changed my status to F1 in sep 2006. I am still currently on F1 ( I did opt from June 2009 - may 2009 ). Am I considered a resident alien or non resident alien.

Is a TN VISA a non resident alien for tax purposes? [ 1 Answers ]

I currently hold a TN Visa and want to open a trading account. Do I have to fill in the W8 form? Am I consider a non resident alien?

Ny state resident or non resident for tax purposes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Im trying to find out if my husband and I are supposed to file resident or non.. We live in VA and he is in the MIlitary but we are still paying NY state taxes. We do have a car registered and insured in NY and we visit family like 3-4 times a year so we probably spend about 30 days a year...

H1b visa and resident for tax purposes in California [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am H1B visa holder, I stayed in California the entire year 2009. Do I consider a resident for tax purposes for both California and Federal?

H2B resident or non resident for tax purposes? [ 1 Answers ]

hi, i hope someone could help me to determinate my status for tax purposes! :confused: h2b holder working in the state of florida for 145 days, during 2007. filled out w4 single, line 5 i claimed 1 and line 6 $16 i found that h2b holder are considered nonresident for tax purposes in...

View more questions Search