Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    panamerica Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2014, 09:04 AM
    Two W2 forms same employer
    I reside in NJ but have a part time job in NYC, I received two W2 forms from this employer, on both copies denotes different state wages and state income tax in boxes 16 and 17, my question is do I file both?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2014, 09:15 AM
    You must file state returns for both NJ and NY.

You report all income on both returns, but you pay taxes only on the NY-sourced income on the NY return.

On the NJ return, you pay taxes on all of your income, but you can claim a credit for the taxes paid to NY.

If this sounds too complicated, I recommend you get professional help.

I have experience filing both states, so if you want my professional help, email me at the email address in my profile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I received two w2 forms from the same employer [ 1 Answers ]

The two w2 forms are I identical in every way all of the same amounts in all categories. The only difference I can see is there is two different batch #'s next to their name. And one w2 says at the top " 2013 w-2 and earnings summary" And the second one has a black box covering over text...

I got 2 W2 forms from my employer for 2 different states [ 1 Answers ]

I Received 2 W2 forms from my employer as I worked for them in 2 differents states, DE and NJ. The DE W2 has my complete 2009 wages (Box 1 & 16), while the NJ W2 only has wage entries for Box 16, with Box 1 blank. Do I assume that Box 1 is equal to Box 16 for the NJ W2?

2 w2 forms from same employer [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 w2 forms from same employer: 1 for CA and other for MI. Only the 16/17/18 fileds differ rest of the fileds remain same. Should I file 1 1040 and different state returns i.e for CA and MI

I received twp W2 forms from same employer Why [ 1 Answers ]

The store that I worked at closed in August of 2009. I have received two W2 forms from them. One of the W2s is correct. The other is for a smaller amount $1684.00. Could this be for vacation, holiday, and sick pay? Please let me know what this other W2 is for?

Received two W-2 forms from same employer [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I worked for the comapny-A in NJ and worked from jan-08 to nov-08. In Nov, I took intra company trasnfer and moved to same company-A in NY. I got one paycheck of 15Dec-31st Dec from Company-A of NY. My company sends me two W-2 Form. My questions: 1) Do I need to file for both NJ...

View more questions Search