Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sherri Counts Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2014, 08:31 AM
    How to claim 401k withdrawal on taxes
    I was laid off my job of sixteen years. I had to cash in my 401k to be able to make it. How would I claim it on my taxes. I did collect unemployment, but it was half of my pay before.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 31, 2014, 08:49 AM
    You will receive a 1099-R form from the 401(k) plan administrator detailing the amount you withdrew from the plan. This is taxable income which you report on line 16 of your Form 1040 tax return ("Pensions and Annuities"). And if you were separated from service under age 55 or were under age 59-1/2 in 2013, and if you don't qualify for an exception to the early withdrawal penalty, you must include 10% of the amount on line 58 of Form 1040 for the penalty ("Additional tax on IRAs, other qualified retuirement plans, etc.").
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 31, 2014, 08:56 AM
    Just to make this clear, you don't "claim" it on your taxes, you report it as income. The 1099-R should also list any amounts withheld from your distribution. Those amounts would be entered along with any amounts withheld from your salary.

You should also get a 1099 from your state for the unemployment paid to you. That also will be entered as income on your return. And, if you had any amounts withheld for taxes, those also will be entered as taxes paid.

If you did not have amounts withheld from either unemployment or your distribution, then its possible you will have to pay a significant amount in taxes this by April 15.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 31, 2014, 09:01 AM
    Good points Scott. I would also add that depending where you live there may be state or local income tax implications, though no additional penalties.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k hardship withdrawal do I have to claim it on state income taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

My 1099-r has a code 7 in box 7-do I need to claim this on my Pa state income tax?

401k early withdrawal tax claim [ 4 Answers ]

I was told that if you take out your 401k early and the amount is under $10,000 you don't have to claim it on your taxes and you only pay a 10% penalty on the amount. Is this correct?

401K withdrawal taxes [ 4 Answers ]

If I decide to withdraw my whole amount of $91,000 since I'm losing money, how much in taxes will I owe? It was a tax deferred account that has been rolled over. I'm 67 years old.

401k withdrawal taxes [ 6 Answers ]

I want to withdraw from my 401k to prevent foreclosure and was told I would need to pay taxes up front and a penalty. Does this mean I have to pay the taxes before I can withdraw the money or do they deduct the taxes/penalty from my acct ?

401K withdrawal and taxes ? [ 7 Answers ]

I'm a 37 year old male... single (not married)... factory worker for about 19 years... took out a 26K 401K hardship withdrawal last year. Out of the 26K, they sent me a check for 22K and some change... This means they kept about 4K. If my salary was 33K, not counting the withdrawal money, what am I...

View more questions Search