Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aljenal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2014, 11:09 PM
    1099 misc income - where to include
    My niece received a 1099 Misc from her employer for a summer job. She is a full time student and can be claimed on her mother's tax return. Can she use a 1040ez to file a return - does it go on line 1 as wages? Or is this considered self employment income?
    She earned 4900.00 total.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 31, 2014, 07:50 AM
    Probably 1040A
    Before answering this, it's a good idea to know whether it's a tax advantage for the student to file herself, or her mother. She could do two returns to see, or read IRS publications on IRS.gov.
    If she can't figure out the IRS website, you can give us more detail here, or she might want to pay a tax preparer.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2014, 02:40 PM
    Sorry, Joy, but this time you are not correct.

Aljenal:

Income recorded on a Form 1099-MISC is normally marked in Box 7 (non-employee compensation), which requires submission of Schedule C and SE, which can only be filed with Form 1040.

If you need professional help, email me at the email address in my profile.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 31, 2014, 02:52 PM
    I should have known that. I must have some dim memory of stipends for grad students (no SE) rather than for summer jobs.
    Still - it might be better for the student to file her own taxes, depending on her mother's income and deductions?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2014, 02:57 PM
    The student STILL has to file.

The only question is whether she claims her own exemption or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rental Income - Got 1099-Misc but reported it w/out the 1099 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I did my taxes through turbo tax and when it came to the part about rental income it asked me if I receievd any income that was NOT reported on a 1099-Misc. I said yes and put the amount in. The problem is that I forgot that I did actually get a 1099-Misc form on the income. Do I need to file...

1099 Misc Income [ 1 Answers ]

Is there another way to report 1099 Misc income other than a Schedule C?

Receive a 1099-A. Should I include it in my income tax return? [ 2 Answers ]

I received a 1099-A in CA. The fair market value is less than the balance of principal outstanding. Should I wait for 1099-C to file income tax return? What should I do now on the income tax return? Will the bank go after me the debt or send me a 1099-C later?

1099 MISC income [ 1 Answers ]

We have an employee who is exercise instructor who also did some painting in our facility for a flat fee. Is the painting income reportable on Form 1099 and if so which box?

View more questions Search