Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tammy1987 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2014, 10:54 PM
    Walmart employee spent my gift card balance...
    I reported an accidental 700$ credit put on my walmart gift card to walmart customer service. The customer service employee took my card number and spent it to make on line purchases rather than returning to the company. It wasn't really my money to begin with and I initiated the call to return the money to walmart. Is this still theft? Can I report the money stolen or is that between walmart and their employee? What can I do if walmart tries to reclaim their money and it wasn't spent by me?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 31, 2014, 12:26 AM
    This is tricky. How do you know that the money was spent by the customer service rep? How can you prove that it wasn't you, or someone else entirely?

On the other hand, it's a gift card, not a credit card. Even if they do notice it missing, I doubt they'd spend the time and man power to investigate and find out where the loss came from.

I'll be really interested to see what the legal experts have to say about this.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 31, 2014, 03:25 AM
    It is theft and you should report it, partly to protect yourself. Find the highest manager in the store that you can.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 31, 2014, 05:28 AM
    It is theft, but from Walmart, not really from you. Do you have documentation that you reported the overage? Was there a balance on the card that did belong to you?

If there is no balance of yours on the card, then I would not pursue it further. There should be nothing to connect you to the gift card. If you want to report it go back to Walmart, show them that you reported the $700 overage. Tell them you did not use that and ask for a new card for whatever balance is yours.

If you do report it, don't make accusations of who used the card since you have no proof of that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am no longer an employee at walmart, how do I get my w2 online? [ 2 Answers ]

I don't work at walmart anymore, just wanted to know how to get my w2 online?

Walmart w2 former employee? [ 2 Answers ]

How do a ex wal- mart employee get their 2011 w2 off the internet?

Should I sue walmart for employee stealing my wallet? [ 16 Answers ]

A Walmart employee was caught stealing my wallet after helping me at photo center. Now I fear going to Walmart to shop with my children. What should I do?

What is the typical cost spent on a wedding gift? [ 3 Answers ]

I was invited to a wedding at the end of the summer and was curious what the price etiquette was for giving a gift. I've been told before that it's typically $100 per person. I usually have my boyfriend go with me so we spend $200 on a gift. The wedding we have coming up is not having a...

Injured by walmart employee [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, My Husband And I Were Shopping In Walmart, And I Went Down The Isle To Get Tea Bags, He Stayed To Wait For Me At One Of The Freezers, When I Bent Over To Pick Up The Tea An Employee Ran Over The Back Of My Heel And Ankle With A Bread Cart, I Fell Into The Shelf To Catch Myself, She Said She...

View more questions Search