Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Massanu Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2014, 08:52 PM
    Researcher under H1B - France Tax Treaty
    Hello !

I will try to be as clear as possible:

- I came from France March 16, 2013 to work as a Researcher for an American University under the H1-B Visa.
    - We claimed the tax treaty so I have been exempted of tax from March 16,2013 to December 31, 2013.

It seems that we have to check if I can claim the tax treaty for 2014.
    I asked several people at the university administration and I get a lot of really different answers. Because I am not a resident for tax purposes because of the substantial presence test.

So I did a lot of research by myself and find out that :
    - France has a Tax Treaty with the USA
    - There is an exceptions to the saving clauses for teacher and Researcher

If I understand correctly, this exceptions to the saving clause allow me to claim the treaty for a maximum of 2 years, even if I become a Resident for tax purposes and if I pass the substantial presence test

I don't know if I am right or totally wrong, I am kind of lost with all this paperwork.

Here is the different documentation I ve read, maybe it can be helpful:

Saving clause definition:
    http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Tax-Treaties-Can-Affect-Your-Income-Tax

Article 20 in this document shows that its an exception to the saving clause:
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-trty/francetech.pdf

Publication 901 for tax treaties
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p901.pdf

Jan 30, 2014, 09:03 PM
    I add this document too:
    Resident Alien Claiming a Treaty Exemption for a Scholarship or Fellowship

And do you think claiming this will create some issues if I try to get a Permanent residency in a few years ?

Thanks you again
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2014, 09:29 PM
    Based on the wording of the U.S.-France Tax Treaty, I see nothing to prevent you from applying for the researcher status and getting the tax exemption EXCEPT...

The H-1B visa is a THREE-year visa, and the wording of the treaty says the exempt period will not exceed two years. Further, the H-1B visa is a WORK visa; most researchers come under a J-1 visa.

I have been preparing returns claiming the tax exemption for a number of Hungarian professors who are claiming tax exemption under a similar provision in the U.S.-Hungary Tax Treaty. They too are H-1B visa holders, but the wording of the Hungary treaty also allows them to claim the tax exemption in my considered opinion.

Whatever happens, it should have NO EFFECT on your application for permanent residency in future years.

Jan 30, 2014, 09:34 PM
    Thank You,

1 - Yes, so I will be exempted the first 2 years of my H1-B Visa, I am OK to pay taxes after that

2 - So when you prepared the returns for these Hungarian Professors, did it works ?

3 - In my case, I prefer to have a 0$ of withholding for both State and Federal taxes when I fill my taxes, is this make any difference ? So in my case I will get 0$ of tax return.

Thanks you very much, I really appreciate your help
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2014, 09:55 PM
    1) Yes, that is my considered opinion.

2) It has so far. I started for the 2012 tax return, and I have already two of them for 2013.

3) If NO money is withheld from your return AND you can convince your employer to put ZERO in Box #1 of the Form W-2, you do not even have to file an income tax return.

Note that the treaty exemption usually is not honored by the state, so a state tax return IS required. Depends on the state!

Jan 30, 2014, 10:04 PM
    It seems like Oregon is honoring the Tax Treaty exemption

So I will probably choose to withhold 0 for state and 0 for Federal, I prefer managing the money myself rather than waiting for the return

Thank you very much I really appreciate your help !
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2014, 10:14 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H-1B researcher, eligible for tax treaty benefits? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I am an H-1B visa holder and currently employed as a post-doctoral researcher at a university in the state of Mississippi, since Dec. 1, 2008. I am a Romanian citizen, however the H-1B visa was issued by the US Embassy in Athens, Greece. I lived in Greece the last 7 years - doing my PhD -...

Israel us tax treaty two years researcher [ 2 Answers ]

Is a Post-Doc in Industry also entitled to the benefits of the Israeli-US tax treaty for researchers? I am planned to start a post-doc at Genentech next year and was wondering if the tax benefits also apply to post-docs that are not at an academic institute. The post-doc is 100% research with no...

Germany US tax treaty for a Chinese researcher? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a Chinese citizen now working at US as a researcher at a DOE lab for fundamental research (the lab is operated by an university and I appear as a staff of the university). I am holding H1B visa. I moved from Germany at July 2010 and before that I have been working at Germany as a...

Tax treaty usa france H1b [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am French citizen. I came for the first time to the USA as a visiting student on a J1 Visa in the US in 2005. I got a tax exemption for 2 months. Since August 2010, I am a researcher in a university on an H1B. Call I invoke the tax treaty again? I was told that I have a 2 years...

J-1 Researcher claiming US-UK tax treaty refund [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I was on a J-1 visa as a Researcher in the US in 2008. My employment ran from 15th Jan 2008 to 30th Dec 2008, and I entered and left the US a couple of weeks either side (entered 2nd Jan 2008 and left 6th Jan 2009). The university where I worked in Massachusetts withheld social security,...

View more questions Search