Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsm1964 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2014, 05:26 PM
    We received a 1099S for some timber sales on our land
    We received a 1099S for timber sales on land we own - where does this go on our taxes? How do we know if we owe taxes on it?

I went on IRS.GOV but am totally confused as to what I need to do and what additional forms I need to fill out.

The dollar amount in sales as noted on the 1099S is ~ $1,000

We live in Georgia (USA)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2014, 07:19 PM
    Form 1099-S is sued to report sales of capital assets.

You report the sale on Schedule D and Form 8949.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Journal entries sales on land? [ 0 Answers ]

Red Sox Company has the following sales of land and cash collections: In 2010, there was the sale of Bux Land for $3,000,000 that cost them $1,500,000. The purchase agreement required that payments be made of $1,200,000 when there are tenants on the land and the following payment of $1,200,000 be...

I am thinking of selling timber land I own in Idaho. I live in CA. [ 1 Answers ]

I am thinking of selling timber land I own in Idaho. I live in CA. If I take the profit I made from the sale of the land and invest it in a IRA can I not pay taxes on it until I cash out the IRA? Thank You Wanda

My decease dad is heir to timber land in Alabama. [ 7 Answers ]

I have relatives that are secretly selling timber from the land and not sharing the proceeds. How do I go about stopping this activity in the court system? Should I file a lis penden, quiet title, etc.

Txtax on Timber Sales - 2009 [ 1 Answers ]

I recently ( this year) inherited a farm with standing timber. When I have the timber cut THIS year, will any gain be ordinary income since I only inherited it this year, or can it be LTCG since the decedent owned it for over 20 years?

Tax land sales in Arkansas [ 1 Answers ]

I have been wanting to go to a tax auction for years and I think I understand the process but how do I research the property that is for sale? How do I find a physical location of where it is so I can go look at it and make sure there is an easement onto it?

View more questions Search