Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mspano Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2014, 02:55 PM
    Pneumonia
    I had a chest x ray and it showed a shadow on right lung. Now doctor wants a ct scan done. I am confused as to why the need for ct and no more meds.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Jan 29, 2014, 03:08 PM
    Sometimes they find something different when they do tests. What you presented was Pneumonia, but when they got to diagnose it, it was something completely different. Could be a good thing, could be bad. Good luck.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2014, 05:09 PM
    Chest x-rays are really intended to show bones... a few other things barely make it in like shadows but they are cheap and quick... CT scans show soft tissue in detail... but tend to be expensive and take significantly longer and rarely can be done in house. It's a step towards justifying the more expensive procedure.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 29, 2014, 07:22 PM
    A CT scan will show a clearer picture of what's causing the shadow. Doctors rarely order tests that aren't necessary to diagnose. I'd err on the side of caution and get the CT scan done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Diabetic with pneumonia [ 1 Answers ]

I am type 2 diabetic and had a ct scan on Wednesday which I had to be prepped for Iodine allergy and my sugar went up to 519 after I went home so I went back to emergency and they kept me... did a chest X-ray to find I had the beginning of pneumonia. They gave me IV antibiotics and insulin and sent...

Do I have Bronchitis or Pneumonia? [ 4 Answers ]

For almost 3 week I've had a persistent cough followed with mucous. It started clear but within the past week it has turned green. Now in the past few days I can't walk very far without getting out of breath, coughing and wheezing. I hear rattling in my chest when I walk and when I'm at rest. I've...

Pneumonia [ 0 Answers ]

I had a kidney infection 6 weeks ago, 2 weeks later strep, 2 weeks later pneumonia. They gave me steroids and zithromax which I finished today. I'm still have sharp pains on the left side of my back. Last time I went to ER the PA said the meds were working and there was nothing else they could do....

Scar in pneumonia? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a scar due to pneumonia,is there a way to remove the scar? A new technology?

Please help, I have pneumonia [ 3 Answers ]

I went to a walk in clinic and it showed I had pneumonia. I had a resting heartrate of 150, I'm 22. And a temp of 103.1. The doc gave me a 10 day antibio srip, and told me to go home and rest, and take my med. She said in 10 days when Im reevaluated, if I still have it then I have to be admitted. ...

View more questions Search