Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tinytops Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2014, 02:48 PM
    F1 to H1b, what is my status for tax purposes
    I was on F1 visa from July 2011 to June 2013, then by June 24th 2013, I moved to H1B. Do I file as a non-resident or dual resident alien
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2014, 03:44 PM
    You are a dual-status alien.

Even though you DID meet the 183-day Substantial Presence Test, you must spend EVERY day of 2013 under H-1B status INSIDE the United States to be allowed to claim resident status.

For 2014 and beyond, you will be able to file as a resident alien.

Now, if you are MARRIED, you can file jointly with your wife and you will BOTH choose to be treated as resident aliens.

If you need my professional help, please email me at the email address in my profile.

Jan 30, 2014, 07:06 AM
    I am single. I just remembered I was out of the country for 31 days last year (October - November 2013), do I still pass the substantial test?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2014, 09:55 AM
    No, you do not. You will now file as a non-resident alien, filing Forms 1040NR-EZ and 8843 ONE LAST TIME.

In 2014, you will file as a resident alien.

Jan 31, 2014, 08:03 AM
    Thank you
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2014, 02:56 PM
    Glad to help!
    Keziah1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2014, 10:26 AM
    Hi, Atlanta Tax Expert

I have the similar situation as tinytops. As dual status alien case, should I have two W-2? I only got one from my working place.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 25, 2014, 12:51 PM
    While many companies do issue two W-2s, one for the non-resident period (no FICA taxes withheld) and one for the resident period (all taxes withheld), this practice is NOT required.

As long as your single W-2 shows the correct withholding of FICA taxes, you are good to go.
    Keziah1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2014, 04:46 AM
    Thank you so much!
    I also changed my OPT to H1B in July 1, 2013 (I didn't leave U.S. from July to December), and the total days are 184 days.
    In my case, can I still fill 1040NR or I must fill both 1040NR and 1040 (dual status)?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2014, 11:14 AM
    You have met the Substantial Presence Test, but have NOT spent the entire year in resident (H-1B) status, so you MUST file a dual-status return.

Any treaty exemption you got while on F-1 visa status still applies.

If you need professional help filing, please email me at the email address in my profile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1b visa and resident for tax purposes in California [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am H1B visa holder, I stayed in California the entire year 2009. Do I consider a resident for tax purposes for both California and Federal?

F1 student on OPT with Resident Alien Status for Tax Purposes [ 4 Answers ]

Dear Tax Experts, I am F-1 student from India on my OPT now. I have been in the US since August 2003. So, my status has changed to Resident Alien for Tax purposes on January 1st 2008. I have some questions. If you could kindly answer them, it will be of great help to me. 1. I did an...

H4 holder NY State residency status for Tax purposes [ 1 Answers ]

Yes, yet again, another first-timer to US Taxes. :( I browsed this forum but couldn't find concrete answer and between NY State and Tax consultants I have 3 different answers!! :eek: Please help me to determine my NY State residency status for Tax purposes.

Status for tax purposes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to the United States under tourist status on April and subsequently changed status to h1b on October. If this is the case, will I qualify as a resident alien for tax purposes as I've already spent 183 days in the US. Would my stay as a tourist count under the continuous residency...

From OPT (F-1) to H1B - resident for tax purposes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have been in the US since August 2000. I started college in South Carolina and then transferred to school in Atlanta, GA on Jan 2003. I was on OPT from May 16, 2005 until Jan 07, 2006. On Jan 07, 2006 I started using my H1B status. I currently reside in Atlanta, GA. Between Jan...

View more questions Search