Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jatinm20 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2014, 02:26 PM
    Child care expenses
    I am on h1b visa and my wife is on h4 visa. I am working but my wife does not. My child goes to preschool. Can I claim preschool fees as child care expenses? I read that both should have earned income or if one has earned income the other should be actively looking for work.

Thanks
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Jan 29, 2014, 02:46 PM
    Both spouses need to have earned income (or be a full time student or disabled), otherwise you don't qualify for the credit.
    The part about "actively looking for work" refers to expenses that could be claimed in case the income requirement is met (I would also question how much you can actively look for work if you don't have a work authorization).
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2014, 03:42 PM
    I thought I answered this one; must be a redundant posting.

TaxForAliens has it right, except for the attending school exception.

If your wife attends school with at least half-time status, you can claim the daycare credit even though she has NO income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I claim spouse (no income) as an exemption and child's care expenses [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question: My spouse has no earned income in 2012. If I choose the filing status as "Married filing jointly" to claim my spouse as an exemption, can I claim my child's daycare expenses? I am using F2441 to figure out how much credit I can get for child's daycare expenses. I...

Claiming child with other parent claiming child care expenses? [ 2 Answers ]

My son spent half the year in California with his father, and half the year in Texas with me. I will be claiming him as a dependent on my 2009 taxes, however I was wondering if it is still possible for his father to claim the child care expenses he incurred in California to make up some of the cost?

Can we claim Child Care Expenses for child with ITIN? [ 1 Answers ]

We are on L1 visa, married and filing jointly. We would like to know if we can claim child care expenses ( day care) for our child who qualifies for a dependent child but does not have an SSN. We have been told that if the child has an ITIN we can only claim for the child care credit ( i.e 1000$)...

Child care expenses [ 2 Answers ]

Simple question... does both spouses have to work in order to deduct child care expenses from your taxable income? Thanks, dbteeitup

Child care expenses [ 4 Answers ]

Can I deduct what I paid for child care expenses without our babysitters tax id or ssn?

View more questions Search