Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suman350 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2014, 01:04 PM
    Tax filling for H4 - Spouse returned to India
    Hi,

I came to US for first time on March 2013 with my wife. She left US for good on Mid August 2013. My wife is housewife.

I came to know that I have to go for option Married Filling Jointly. I have my W2 with me.

Can you please respond to below questions?

1. Do I have to apply for ITIN for my wife?
    2. Do I need to bring any document from India?
    3. What is the last date for Tax Filing?

Thanks
    Suman
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2014, 01:44 PM
    It is probably most advantageous for you to file jointly with your wife, filing Form 1040 with Form 1116 to claim the Foreign Tax Credit. Form 1116 is required because you must claim ALL world-wide income earned in 2012, and the Form 1116 allows you to claim a credit for the income taxes paid to your home country.

You will need to apply for an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for your wife by submitting Form W-7, and that process underwent some radical procedural changes in 2013. Instead of the simple notarization process, the IRS now requires that your home country certify the photocopy of your passport as a true copy. This is due to rampant fraud in the ITIN submission process. The notaries simply cannot tell the difference between a fake passport and the genuine passport.

FIRST ALTERNATIVE: For Indian clients, this certification can be done by the Indian embassy in Washington, D.C. or at one of the consulates in San Francisco, Chicago, Houston or New York. Assuming you do NOT want to drive there, you need to call the nearest consulate and arrange to have this process done via the mail. Since you usually must wait until June to file, you have time to get this done (the process, done via mail, can take up to three months to complete). My clients to date have had the best results by mail with the San Francisco consulate, getting the certified passport photocopies in less than 3 weeks.

SECOND ALTERNATIVE: Your wife can get the certification done in India by the Indian government agency who issued the passport.

OR

The U.S. embassy or a U.S. consulate in India will also certify a passport as authentic. I recommend she call and make an appointment for this, and it is likely a fee will be required.

THIRD ALTERNATIVE. I am a Certifying Acceptance Agent, and I can certify the passport.

You would mail the passport and the SIGNED Form W-7 and SIGNED tax return to me. I would contact you via SKYPE, conduct a brief interview with your spouse, certify the passport, attach the certification to the SIGNED W-7 and sign both documents. I would also sign the tax return, then paperclip the W-7 with certification to the tax return, and then mail them to the IRS ITIN Processing Center in Austin, Texas.

The passport I would mail BACK to you via tracked PRIORITY MAIL, so the passport would be out of your possession for about a week.

The FINAL alternative is to mail in the actual passports themselves, something most of my clients are reluctant to do because...

If the IRS gets the passport, they hold it for about TWO months.

If you need my professional help, please email me at the email address in my profile.
    suman350 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2014, 02:16 PM
    Hi,
    Thanks for you reply.

If I understood the third option correctly, I have to do following things.
    • Bring My Wife's Passport from India
    • Send That to You.
    • Have a Skype seesion with you, me and my wife.

Can you please validate this?

Thanks
    Suman
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2014, 03:40 PM
    Suman,

Yes, that is EXACTLY how it works. However, unlike the IRS, I hold the passport only as long as I need it to conduct the SKYPE interview. Once I am done, I send it back to you via PRIORITY MAIL, so it is out of your possession for, at most, a week.

The IRS keeps it for at least TWO months.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax filling for spouse living in two states [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, In 2007, my spouse worked in NY for the first half of the year and lived and worked in MI for the second half of the year. I have worked in NY. What kind of taxes return(s) we should file? Thank you.

Returned to India in Jul 2010; Need to file US tax for 2010 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was on L1 with my wife (she did not have any income) and son for 2 years (Jul 2008 to Jul 2010) and returned to India in Jul 2010. I don't plan to go back to US for a few years. 1. Can I file my 2010 tax as married filling jointly as a resident alien? 2. Can I claim standard deduction,...

Returned to India in Jul 2010; Need to file US tax for 2010 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was on L1 with my wife (she did not have any income) and son for 2 years (Jul 2008 to Jul 2010) and returned to India in Jul 2010. I don't plan to go back to US for a few years. 1. Can I file my 2010 tax as married filling jointly as a resident alien? 2. Can I claim standard deduction,...

Filing Tax returns on H1 with spouse in India during the tax period. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I know that this question might have been answered already. But I couldn't find a proper answer anywhere. Here is my case. I started working in US in April 2008 and got married in Nov 2008. My wife joined me here in US in March 2009. I would like to know: Am I eligible to file my...

Us india tax treaty: filling out a wait form [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am an Indian citizen in the US on a F-1 visa. I was looking into putting money in a mutual fund and they require you to submit an IRS W8 form. Section 10 of that form asks for a %age rate of withholding based on the relevant tax treaty. I tried to look up the figure but of course...

View more questions Search