Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spiraljane23 Posts: 24, Reputation: 3

Apr 1, 2007, 11:07 PM
    Constantly compared to his mother
    My boyfriend is constantly comparing me to his mother. For example, when I cook something, he talks about how his mother cooks something similar and how wonderful it always turns out. This makes me feel like I have to prove myself to him that I am as good as his mother is. I know that this needs to be talked about, but I don't know how to bring it up without offending him or his mother. I know that he has a wonderful relationship with her and I think that it is great, but sometimes I feel that he forgets that he is an adult and needs to leave the whole "mama's boy" attitude with his mother. I am very anxious now about everything I do because I know that if I screw up he will bring up the subject of his mother, or worse yet, he will call his mother on advice on how I can fix my mistake, which makes me feel completely embarrassed and inadequate. I know that he doesn't mean to make me feel this way, he really thinks that he is helping, but it only makes it worse. Please advise me on how to bring this up with offending anyone. I don't want to feel bitter about his mother anymore, and he is moving in in 2 weeks I don't think I could handle this constant comparison.
    southerntinkerbell Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2007, 11:57 PM
    Mine too say well then be with your mother!
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2007, 12:37 AM
    I think you need to express how you feel how you just did on AMHD. You spoke in a mature manner and he shouldn't get annoyed or upset with you, especially if express your issue to him exactly like this.

Communication is the key

Good Luck.
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Apr 2, 2007, 07:22 AM
    I had to approach my boyfriend about this. I just simply told him how I felt exactly like you did on your post. I don't think he even realized what he was saying. It could be a good thing-comparing to mom, but I know how you feel. After a while he backed off. I think he started to think more before he spoke.
    rol Posts: 804, Reputation: 162

Apr 2, 2007, 07:58 AM
    First of all I would tell him something positive he does, and then perhaps mention the negative about comparing you to his mother, in a nice way.

Then ask him what he likes and dislikes about you.

This will get your communication going well instead of focusing on a 5%flaw. Focus, ponder, churn up the 5% and it will grow 10, 20, and 60%.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 2, 2007, 12:55 PM
    Just tell him how you feel, or else he will never know.
    spiraljane23 Posts: 24, Reputation: 3

Apr 2, 2007, 04:59 PM
    Thanks I will try these

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My breasts too small compared to my body size ! [ 19 Answers ]

Its been like a month since I am married.And now my husband keeps complaining about my breast size.He saye he doesn't feel excited or good looking at my breast .My breats size is 30 and I am 60 KG,s .He feels excited when he sees any girl with bigger breast and he compares the same with me.he loves...

My mother acts like a bill collector more than a mother [ 9 Answers ]

I need an opinion... my mother has lent me money for some computer programs and we get our cell phones together so I deposit mine in her account every month to pay for mine and pay her monthly to pay her back for my programs. Lately, my work has been slow, and I will not have the money until next...

Heat constantly on and off [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a mobile home with a Nordyne Intertherm furnace. The blower and burner comes on and goes off constantly. With the temp set below the actual room temp. I took the cover off the thermostat and the merc switch is still tilted to the off position when it comes one and off? Help Kurt

View more questions Search