Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jameslish Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2014, 08:12 AM
    How much will my capital gain taxes be?
    I bought a duplex house in 1985 for $56,000 an sold it in 2013 for 93,000 an 10 of those years were family occupied,I'm now retired how much will my capital gain taxes be??
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2014, 08:47 AM
    By family, do you mean you and your wife, or other family?

If you and/or your wife, and at least two of those years happened in the past five years, you can EXCLUDE the income and pay ZERO taxes.

If not, you declare the sale and capital gains on Schedule D and probably pay 5% of the profit as long-term capital gains tax.

If you need professional help filing, this is what I do! You can email me at the email address in my profile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Avoiding Capital Gain Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking at buying 25% of my mother's property (she is still alive and living in this home). The reason for this purchase is to offset one of my siblings debt and to buy him out of his 25% inheritance of this property upon her death. If I have my mother change ownership of her home to 75% her...

Income & Capital Gain taxes interaction? [ 1 Answers ]

I think I understand the UK Income and Capital Gain tax system but I am not too sure how they interact between each other. I have a Limited company I use for IT consulting and here is my situation for this tax year as an example: -I will pay myself a gross salary of 12k a year. -I will also...

Capital Gain [ 6 Answers ]

DO I have to pay capital gain to the IRS if I rented my house for 1 yr and now my house if being foreclosed. Thanks in advance for your help, Gail >Moved from Forum Help<

Capital gain taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Hello atlanta tax expert, yesterday I asked a question about capital gain taxes and I didn't give all the figures, sorry about that, Maybeit will help with my new question, my wife inherited 25% of some property that her mother owned when she passed away in 1997 50% was owned by her aunt and 25% by...

View more questions Search