Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mare7079 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2014, 06:24 AM
    Living in New York and working in Massachusettes
    My daughter lives in New York, and worked for the summer in Massachusettes.
    I can see from her W2's that no state taxes were taken.
    Our accountant last year stated she had to claim for these un-taken taxes.
    She paid approx 1-$200. She made approx $5K.

Some of her other friends who also worked at the same place and reside NY, rec'd money back on their taxes and stated they did not have to pay for those Mass taxes not taken.

I am confused. Please Help!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 29, 2014, 07:07 AM
    She will have to file a MA non-resident income tax return. It seems the other kids in the program had taxes withheld (I don't ubderstand why your daughter didn't) and received a full refund when they filed.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2014, 08:44 AM
    Not sure how they would qualify for a full refund on $5,000 in income.

Your daughter will need to file BOTH the Massachusetts and New York return, claiming the income on both. She can claim a tax credit for the Massachusetts taxes paid, so at least the income is NOT double-taxed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Living in New jersey and working in New York [ 5 Answers ]

For some time now I've been thinking of making a career move. I live in New Jersey, I am looking to work in New York City and would like to know how would filing taxes affect my weekly pay. For instance would both NJ and NY tax me. How does this work?

Living in New Jersey and Working in New York [ 1 Answers ]

How does the taxes work? I heard about a comuting tax? Can anyone please help me out before I begin to work there?

Working in New York and living in Pennsylavania [ 1 Answers ]

I was doing the IT-203 Non resident tax retur. I noticed there is a line for College Tuition itemized deuction. (Also on NYS schedule C for college itemized deuction). The question is simple, but could not find the answer. Since I live in PA, I did not see anything that says you cannot deduct...

Living in New York and working in New Jersey [ 1 Answers ]

My husband will be working in New Jersey this summer but we live in manhattan. How should he handle the withheld taxes from his weekly paycheck and how does that influence his annual salary? If it is possible to give me an estimated percentage that we can anticipate as a weekly deduction, I would...

View more questions Search